Can you save your outlook address book?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another simple way to backup a lot of things, including Outlook/Outlook Express files is the Files and Settings Tranfer Wizard. Probably on your computer under Accessories | System Tools. Save that your computer is the "Old Computer" and save the stuff off to DVD or external USB HDD.

If you regularly backup your "My Documents" folder, then another good thing to do is to change the options/preferences settings in various programs so that your info is kept in the MY Documents folder. For example, in Photoshop Elements 3.0, under Preferences | Files | Catalog, I have changed the location of my Catalog to a folder within My Pictures, rather than the default which leaves it in some obscure spot in the Programs folders.

This also helps a lot in making sure I transfer all needed files as I move between 3 different locations, each with a different desktop computer.

justleesa:
now where can I find my old emails?
On Outlook Express, go to Tools | Options | Maintenance. The click on Store Folder to find out where they are stored. As with PSE 3, I have changed the Store Folder to one within "My Documents", so that a backup of My Documents automatically backs up e-mails.

The procedure for Outlook should be very similar.

It was, I was able to save my current ones that way, thanks!

But I couldn't find my old ones, that folder is empty :(

Not sure what you mean here:
But I couldn't find my old ones, that folder is empty
What version of Outlook is/was on both computers? 2003? 2000? The files are stored in different places so one doesn't automatically import from the other.

I looked in my old HD in the folder according to the path (C:\Documents and Settings\Lisa\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{********-****-****-****-************}\Microsoft\Outlook) in my current outlook - found a folder with different number there and it was empty.

I used outlook (from MS office professional edition) on the old computer, right now I am using express, but also have outlook (from MS office professional edition) loaded, just having trouble configuring all my email accounts to it. But I'll figure that out in time.

I'm not terribly familiar with Outlook Express, but what happens when you go to File>Import>Messages>Outlook and hit Next?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom