Can you save your outlook address book?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d@n:
..snip..
Look for a USB HDD kit. Heres one for $29.99 that I found with a quick google search.
..snip..

That's really neat. I hadn't seen this idea before. Now I know how to get data off a lot of old HDs left over from my old computers that I could never be bothered installing into my new one. :wink:

reefraff:
The data is stored as a .pst file - you can search and find the files and add them to a commercial backup routine or you can export the files from within Outlook to a second file or to a disk.

Put a CD in your drive and then select: File > Import and Export > Export to a File > Personal Folder File (.pst) > Personal Folders (be sure to select "include subfolders") > select your CD drive > etc...

not sure what your using as a client. Outlook the pst file is good to backup....If your using Outlook Express....you want to back up the *.wab files too. (Windows Address Book)

Kenny

Ok I don't know how to do computer hardware stuff so I took the HD to a computer place today and they put it in one of those external HD housings - it works :D - but I can't find any *.PST files...where exactly do I have to look?

C:\Documents and Settings\default\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.pst

where default is whatever the system name was on your old computer. (unless it was default) The directory itself is normally hidden by XP, so it's easiest just to do an Explorer search on the entire drive. The files show up even though they're hidden.

Leesa,

Were you using the full blown version of Outlook or Outook Express? If Outlook Express, search for WAB files. (Oops, I see Kenny already covered this.)

Also, since you can't find a PST file, then search for PAB since you might have used the Personal Address Book instead of putting your email addresses in Contacts.

Hope you get them back. It's not fun to lose data.

Just a little note, but I also use Plaxo - it backs up my contacts and updates everyone in my contacts when I change an address, etc... Its quite a nice service to have.

www.plaxo.com

If your using a personal address book, Outlook saves that as a *.pab. If you're using your Contacts, you can export them to a .csv file (excel can open that) and transfer them anywhere.

sjspeck:
C:\Documents and Settings\default\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.pst

where default is whatever the system name was on your old computer. (unless it was default) The directory itself is normally hidden by XP, so it's easiest just to do an Explorer search on the entire drive. The files show up even though they're hidden.
I would have to look at the new drive though, so it would be K: not C:, right??

I looked in K: and there isn't a default folder :bawling:

Wait, running a search now...

ok...not there...
bawling.gif

Ok, let's try this:

From your desktop:

Click My Computer
Click Local Disk K: - or External Disk K: or whatever it's called.
Click Documents and Settings
You'll see a folder called All Users and another one.
Click the other one.

At the top of this screen click Tools then Folder Options.
Next click the View tab at the top of the Folder Options screen.
About 10 lines down you'll see a dialog button that says "Show hidden files and folders" Select it.
Hit Apply at the bottom of the screen then OK.

Now there should be some lightly yellowed-out folders in the window.
click the one called Application Data
click the folder called Microsoft
click the folder called Outlook,
and you should see outlook.pst listed.

copy and move it to your C: directory, then import it using the Outlook import/export tool. When doing this, you have options about what to do with duplicate entries so select what works best for you to keep any entries you may also have on your other computer. Be careful not to overwrite your existing data.

The last thing you should do is re-hide your Hidden folders so that you don't accidentally delete something you need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom