Can you save your outlook address book?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Our computer just died and among other things I lost my emails and my address book - Is there anyway to back those up so I don't lose them if this should ever happen again?

The data is stored as a .pst file - you can search and find the files and add them to a commercial backup routine or you can export the files from within Outlook to a second file or to a disk.

Put a CD in your drive and then select: File > Import and Export > Export to a File > Personal Folder File (.pst) > Personal Folders (be sure to select "include subfolders") > select your CD drive > etc...

You can, it's easy. Go to Outlook and in the Files and select Import Export. There is a wizard that walks you through it. You can export your PST files and save them on a backup. Also if you do a backup of your Outlook directory it should do that. Lokk for the *.PST files.

Mike

Take the hard drive out of the old computer, and install it in the new one as a second drive. You should then be able to pull anything you want off of it.

Even if the drive is dead and putting it in to another computer does not work there are lots of services that will pull the data from the drive. Not cheap, but depending on the value of the data it can be a lifesaver. The data is almost always OK, the hardware that accesses the data is usually the part that dies - not the actual platter that holds the data. Price depends on the size of the drive normally. The last one I had done on an emergency basis for a client (i.e. now not next week) the price was about $400 and he got back 99% of what was on the drive. You get the data on a buch of DVD's. Probably not worth it for an address book, but you never know.

When I purchased the new computer I also purchased this package deal -Which included a 2 year extended warranty, them transferring our files and they also put the extra 1 gig of RAM that I just bought for the old computer into the new computer...could they have moved the HD over? I kept asking and they said there was no way to save that info....did I get gypped?

Yes - they should have been able to at least try to swap the old drive in to the new PC.

Someone should be able to get at that data. And it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg unless that HDD is absolutely trashed.
Look for a USB HDD kit. Heres one for $29.99 that I found with a quick google search. If the drive does not appear to work once in the kit, put it in the freezer overnight - yes, the FREEZER! Then take it out and quickly hook it up to the PC and give it a try. You may just get enough time to get critical data off the drive. I have used this technique successfully several times to get data off "dead" HDD's. It's worth a try. If that doesn't work, try spinning the whole thing quickly on a flat surface several times. You could also try dropping it or hitting it. If none of these work, you may need to pay an arm and a leg.

Good Luck!

Cool Beans! Thanks for that :D...Seems like the "safest" choice. I would hate to open the new computer and ruin the warranty

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom