Can you manifold luxfer and catalina tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why would it make any difference how full the tanks were?

Tamas:
Not to mention the buoyancy differences between the two tanks.....I think the Luxfers are a bit more buoyant as well, which would throw you off under water when they get near empty.

oxyhacker:
Why would it make any difference how full the tanks were?

Since we all know that most tanks are negative when full and aluminiums tend to be positive when empty, if one tank has a higher buoyancy then that would be an issue with trim and level.

Tamas:
Since we all know that most tanks are negative when full and aluminiums tend to be positive when empty, if one tank has a higher buoyancy then that would be an issue with trim and level.
Since they contain the same amount of air, if they weigh differently empty they will be different by the same amount full.

I *believe* that the weight distribution is a bit different.Luxfers are preferred for deco bottles as they get more floaty on the tail when getting empty and the back of the tank floats up out of the way better. Catalinas may be better for backgas as they tend to lie more horizontal.

I suspect these differences would never be noticed if you had one Catalina and one Luxfer together as doubles.

wedivebc:
Since they contain the same amount of air, if they weigh differently empty they will be different by the same amount full.

Catalina S80
Empty dry weight = +31.6
Full = -1.8
Empty = +4.0

Luxfer S080
Empty dry weight = +31.4
Full = -1.4
Empty = +4.4

Both cylinders are very close in their specs, but as noted above they tend to swim different when empty (or near) so the extra 0.4lbs might be a bit more noticeable when doubled - maybe not.

Tamas:
Catalina S80
Empty dry weight = +31.6
Full = -1.8
Empty = +4.0

Luxfer S080
Empty dry weight = +31.4
Full = -1.4
Empty = +4.4

Both cylinders are very close in their specs, but as noted above they tend to swim different when empty (or near) so the extra 0.4lbs might be a bit more noticeable when doubled - maybe not.
My point was the weight swing is the same so it doesn't matter whether they are full or empty. .4lb is hardly noticable maybehe could put a nitrox sticker on one :D
I would be way more concerned about the different heights damaging the manifold

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom