can you make your own spare air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
i like to go spearfishing in the rivers and it's usually 6-8 feet deep so i just use my snorkle then but when there are 20ft. hole it'd be nice to take an extra breath or two. so is there any way i could make my own spare air to save some money or do you guys have any other ideas?

I hope you are a troll. That is because if you are, we don't need to worry that you might do this.

If you are not a troll, your idea is a bad one and you are likely to end up dead of a lung expansion injury. A fundamental rule of scuba diving, is never hold your breath. This would apply any time anyone takes a breath of compressed air, as would be the case if you took a breath off of a spare air while under water. The air going into your lungs would be under pressure to compensate for the pressure created by whatever depth you were at. As you ascended, that would cause your lungs to expand and burst like a balloon. You probably would not feel the expansion until it was too late.

If you are going snorkeling, snorkel. If you want to use air out of a container, get scuba certified and do it right.

alrighty thank you that is very useful and i didnt know about that. i appreciate it.

I second what "ItsBruce " said, be safe get the training then go for it, otherwise we may be reading about you in the accidents/incidents forum.......

i like to go spearfishing in the rivers and it's usually 6-8 feet deep so i just use my snorkle then but when there are 20ft. hole it'd be nice to take an extra breath or two. so is there any way i could make my own spare air to save some money or do you guys have any other ideas?

If you're just wanting to go to 20', I'd recommend looking for some free diving techniques and pointers to increase your time at depth. I'd think that with a decent fitness level and appropriate technique you should have no need for SCUBA at 20'.

Back
Top Bottom