Can you ID this moray?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howard4113

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ran across this fella in the reef in front of the Maui Prince. Any idea who he is? Juvie snowflake?
UkMoray_Small1.jpg

Mark

howard4113:
Ran across this fella in the reef in front of the Maui Prince. Any idea who he is?

It's Joe. :wink:

No, it's Jack.

The Gold Spotted Moray for sale there is Gymnothorax miliaris, which I believe is only an Atlantic species. do an image search on whitemouth moray aka Gymnothorax meleagris and compare the two

I'd be pretty comfy saying it's a juvenile whitemouth. They're the most common eel along Maui's south shore. I've seen more of them than any other eel species. The one in your photo looks like it has been injured. See the white and dark scarred area just below the finger coral? I had one bite my finger today, about the same size as this guy. He couldn't even get a grip on me! Teeth were too small to do any damage. He was feisty though!

Back
Top Bottom