Can you find a Garibaldi around Monterey?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ive never seen a girabaldi but i have seen a sheephead in monterey bay.

Jordan

Jorbar1551:
Ive never seen a girabaldi but i have seen a sheephead in monterey bay.
Sheephead are down right common at Pt. Lobos. Outside Pt. Lobos, they are uncommon
but do turn up now and then. There used to be one at Aumentos several years ago
that I'd see about every 10th dive there, always right at the limits of vis (unlike Lobos
where Victor will come up stare you in the eye). And there are a couple of other
places where I see one now and then, but I'd guess it's only about every 50th Monterey
Bay dive.

Chuck Tribolet:
Sheephead are down right common at Pt. Lobos. Outside Pt. Lobos, they are uncommon
but do turn up now and then. There used to be one at Aumentos several years ago
that I'd see about every 10th dive there, always right at the limits of vis (unlike Lobos
where Victor will come up stare you in the eye). And there are a couple of other
places where I see one now and then, but I'd guess it's only about every 50th Monterey
Bay dive.

Are you talking about all sheephead or just the terminal phase ones (supermales)? Just last month I saw aggregations on two different dives: 10+ initial phase (probably, they're hard to count!) and a terminal at a pinnacle west of Ballbuster, and 6 or so initials and a small terminal in the kelp south of Sunset point. The initials I've seen fairly regularly at chase reef and Aumentos. Otherwise, yeah, not so much outside Lobos and points south.

Brian

Back
Top Bottom