Can you feel a lung over-expansion injury happening?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but is it possible to use an inhaler at depth? It is basically a can of compressed gas, but is it at sufficient pressure to be useful underwater (I'm not asthmatic and obviously wouldn't recommend that anyone try this).

...is it possible to use an inhaler at depth? It is basically a can of compressed gas, but is it at sufficient pressure to be useful underwater (I'm not asthmatic and obviously wouldn't recommend that anyone try this).

Hi Mark,

Yes, it certainly is not recommended. Many of those with asthma can be controlled with long-acting bronchodilators and inhaled corticosteroids. Divers who do not respond adequately to these and must regularly rely on fast-acting rescue meds shouldn't be engaging in SCUBA.

AFAIK, inhalers involving a compressed gas propellant are pressurized only to a modest degree and of course lose pressurization with each use.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but is it possible to use an inhaler at depth? It is basically a can of compressed gas, but is it at sufficient pressure to be useful underwater (I'm not asthmatic and obviously wouldn't recommend that anyone try this).

I don't think this is a hijack at all, it's a valid question. No, it's not possible to use an inhaler at depth. They're not watertight and proper use requires a significant inhalation along with the tiny puff of medication that the inhaler gives.

I can't remember where I saw it, but somebody makes a regulator addition that allows you to nebulize albuterol into your reg. When I saw the ad, I thought it was a horrible idea. No one who thinks he or she might need medication during a dive should be diving.

I can't remember where I saw it, but somebody makes a regulator addition that allows you to nebulize albuterol into your reg.

Many years ago I posted about an addition to SCUBA regulators that allows for the nebulization of albuterol --> MediDive Diving Regulator SCUBA Diving for asthmatics.

I'm suprized the manufacturer still appears to be in business both due to what I would expect to be very limited diver demand and serious product liability issues.

Scary, no?

Regards,

Doc

I can't remember where I saw it, but somebody makes a regulator addition that allows you to nebulize albuterol into your reg. When I saw the ad, I thought it was a horrible idea. No one who thinks he or she might need medication during a dive should be diving.

It may be a good idea for someone who is asymptomatic at start but gets unexpected bronchospasm during a dive. You use the albuterol and terminate the dive.

The point, Hatul, is that if you are frequently symptomatic, or if exercise is known to trigger significant symptoms, you fall outside the group of people who should be cleared to dive.

If you meet the criteria for diving, which are that you are generally asymptomatic off medication AND have normal pulmonary function testing off medication (which reduces the pool pretty much to the people who have identified triggers that they can avoid, or people who are only symptomatic after respiratory infections) then you shouldn't need the albuterol. In other words, thinking the device may be necessary for you means you probably shouldn't be diving.

The point, Hatul, is that if you are frequently symptomatic, or if exercise is known to trigger significant symptoms, you fall outside the group of people who should be cleared to dive.

If you meet the criteria for diving, which are that you are generally asymptomatic off medication AND have normal pulmonary function testing off medication (which reduces the pool pretty much to the people who have identified triggers that they can avoid, or people who are only symptomatic after respiratory infections) then you shouldn't need the albuterol. In other words, thinking the device may be necessary for you means you probably shouldn't be diving.

It's well known that even a non asthmatic can have bronchospam given sufficient irritation. For example inhalation of methylcholine will precipitate bronchospasm in normal people. It's very possible that someone with mild asthma like yourself, may accidentally aspirate some water and end up with bronchospasm. That's where the underwater inhaler may be useful.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom