Can you eat parrot fish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good advice given here. I'm for eating just about anything. But if what I'm about to eat is known to make people sick and also helps a struggling ecosystem, I stay clear. Simple math for me. There are way to many other fish to eat.

PH

Why eat parrot fish as opposed to other fish? The assumption to the answer of "yes" for those who gave it is that they taste good. I love seafood!! I've yet to reconcile my love of diving and observing with that of a meat eating animal that loves food from the sea. I don't know if there's a right answer, but I've yet to conclude that eating seafood is "wrong". I've never had a parrot fish so I don't know if they taste good. However, I don't think that they're "pretty" is a reason to not eat a parrot fish vs. a catfish. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder after all.

The next consideration would be sustainability. I haven't seen reports or news that parrot fish are one of those endangered fish like grouper, sea bass, Atlantic Bluefin Tuna, etc.

My next concern would be habitat impact. Don't parrot fish eat coral? If the concern is health of the reef, it would seem that reducing numbers of parrot fish might actually benefit the reef in some small part though perhaps to the negative impact to some other aspect. <like the killing of the crown of thorns in Australia> Catching parrot fish by spear or other manual method would also imply that it would not have a direct negative impact on other sea animals environments like fishing nets and other damaging methods do.

I post my thoughts to share and learn, and they are definitely not informed. So please don't waste your hate on me with any vehement responses that are contrary. Simply respond to educate and debate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom