Can you eat parrot fish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Years ago in Samoa we considered parrot fish a real treat. Clean but kept whole, steamed or baked until almost done, loaded with chopped vegetables on top, AND THEN to finish cooking, pour very hot sesame oil across the top and the veggies. The oil and the steam it produces finishes cooking the meat and adds a wonderful flavor!

Only one problem - more than one person has ended up with ciguatera from parrots. Becasuse they munch reef all day long, they are quite likely to have the toxins in their tissues in some amount. Maybe not much, but that is highly dependent on the reef on which they live. AND, it also matters how suseptible the person who eats it is. I've known people who had previous poisoning become sick after just one bite, while others eat it regularly with no problems. The same holds for barracuda, some snappers, and scads of other reef fish. Thank God I've never come down with it - its miserable. These days, my ingestion of reef fish, raw oysters, urchins, fugu, and other risky delicacies is much suppressed. Its just too darned hard to recover as you get older!

slingshot:
I was also told by a local captain that parrotfish are eaten locally in the BVIs, and that some of the trap floats you see bobbing around are for parrotfish, and not just crustaceans. Only locals can legally trap however. I second CJ's query, "why would you want to?"

"why would you want to?....I was looking to spearfish some while snorkeling since they were the bigest fish on the reef. If I could find some tuna or bonita I would eat it though.

Dan

fookisan:
"why would you want to?....I was looking to spearfish some while snorkeling since they were the bigest fish on the reef. If I could find some tuna or bonita I would eat it though.

Dan
Maybe I'm just stupid, but I don't get it. :06:

You travel hundreds (or thousands) of miles to visit exciting new destinations, experience new cultures, meet new and different peoples, see incredibly beautiful ecosystems, marvel over the wonderful natural wildlife.....and then shoot it and eat it!!!!

Whatever happened to "take only pictures, leave only bubbles"? I guess in some people's book it's "take only dynamite, leave only bones!"

Are so few people aware of the natural pressures on reefs and their rate of decline (esp. in the Caribbean), without adding additional pressure from overfishing by tourists!

I'm totally sympathetic to local, indigenous fishermen who have for centuries based their and their families' survival upon reef fishing but please don't contribute to an already overwhelming problem worldwide.

Please try to limit your diet to sustainable resources rather than targeting fragile ecosystems.

To end my rant please consider eating dolphin (mahi mahi, not flipper!) which is a local fish which grows and breeds rapidly, is not susceptible to over-fishing and of course, tastes great!!

CJ :11ztongue

Please do not eat this fish. They clean our reefs. It is totally uncool to eat Parrotfish IMHO. I personally will boycott any place that serves this fish. Divers should know better. You rely on the reef to pursue your passion..protect the Parrotfish. Educate others..inform ..

I eat Mahi Mahi in the Caribbean...

http://www.edf.org/documents/1980_pocket_seafood_selector.pdf

Have you seen what the parrotfish eat? EWWWWWWWW! If you are not aware of the rules and regulations please do not partake in spearfishing on an unfamiliar island. Why not eat something the professional fisherman catch? I sell spearguns and we don't encourage anybody to spear near the island, it will plain make you sick. I also do not allow spearguns on our dive charters. I sell mostly to local's who do it for a living or for their own meals.

I don't know whether you can eat them, but think about this before you try them: One of the reasons today's coral reefs are in such dire straits is because nutrient-rich runoff water from land (agriculture, tourism resorts, cities, etc.) leads to unnatural algal growth. Algal growth can kill off corals in no time, unless something keeps them in check. This role is played by so-called grazers, animals that browse the reef for food. The parrotfish are one of the most critical group of grazing animals in the reef community, so while perhaps one COULD eat them, I think it's worth pondering whether one SHOULD eat them.

Can you eat parrot fish - the bright colored ones that graze on the rocks or coral and poop out sand?

Dan

Yes, it used to be sold in the supermarket when I lived in Grand Cayman the last half of the 90's.

It wasn't that bad.

PSSST: Old July 2nd, 2005, 10:44 AM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom