Can you dive with a tampon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubachick69

Registered
Reaction score
There are many postings here about the combined effects of the menstrual cycle and diving on the female's physiology. Have a read here for more details:
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=9
Or look at other postings on this board.

General consensus is that there is no increased danger to shark attacks. But it is advised to take the diving easy during the first couple of days of your menses.

My question is: can you dive with a tampon? Would this create a plug and therefore a blocked air space. Surely this is equivalant of diving with ear plugs!!! Anybody ever heard anything? Links to scientific papers would be great.

:wink:

A tampon is not an airtight plug, therefore you have no squeeze issues. It doesn't block any air.

Whenever necessary, I dive with tampons. I have never had a problem. My "problem" would be missing a day of diving!

The tampon is made of porous materials, and if there's air trapped, i'm sure it will escape from the vent around the tampons.

I use a new product called "Instead". You can get it in where you buy the tampons. It is a plastic ring which stores the flow for you. For me, it works far better.

IowaDiver:
I use a new product called "Instead". You can get it in where you buy the tampons. It is a plastic ring which stores the flow for you. For me, it works far better.

I tried these and found them very hard to get in and out. Sorry to the men folk on the board but it's true. I am not sure if the product would provide the same escape for air that a tampon would since I believe it is made of plastic and forms a seal on the inner walls.

My question is: can you dive with a tampon? Would this create a plug and therefore a blocked air space. Surely this is equivalant of diving with ear plugs!!! Anybody ever heard anything? Links to scientific papers would be great.[/FONT]

:wink:[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

To answer the question, yes. I don't see why air would be an issue. It isn't with the digestive or urinary tracts; you certainly don't have to clear those. The ears/sinuses have air spaces, the reproductive system does not.

An alternative is to eliminate the problem! There is a new birth control pill called Seasonale (seasonale.com) which gives you only 4 periods a year. I have done this for years with regular birth control pills at my ob's recommendations as a means to stabilize hormones & reduce migraines. I just skipped the blanks and went into the next months pills, taking the blanks every third month. According to my ob this is medically fine. I have just started trying this new product designed to work this way. Obviously, you would need to consult with your own doctor - but its very convenient. It does help (though not eliminate) my migraine problem too.

damselfish01:
An alternative is to eliminate the problem! There is a new birth control pill called Seasonale (seasonale.com) which gives you only 4 periods a year.

I do that too and it's great!

Back
Top Bottom