Can this break a 1st stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mstachowsky

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I took my new gear out for the first time yesterday, in a pool. At the end, we rinsed the gear off, but I had my dust cap off and probably got water in there. I've been told that that is a terrible thing to do...How big a deal is that? I imagine that rental equipment gets water in it all time, so...if I promise never to do it again will I be fine? :p

MIKE

I'd take it in, better safe then sorry. If it was fresh water ( no salt or clorine ) there are some things you could depending on what kind of regulator it is but I'd think you'd be better off just getting is inspected first to see if it's even a problem.

Hm...oh well. I'll take it in. I spent most of today trying to convince myself it wasn't a big deal, then I realized that I had exactly one dive and two hours in the pool under my belt, so I'm probably not the best one to make the decision :p

MIKE

you can't be sure if your first stage is OK unless you get it serviced. In colder waters a water in the first stage means you can end up with freezing inside your first stage very easily. if it's salt water or pool water with chlor in it it could damage the internal parts.

The filters on first stages are very fine, and the water probably didn't get past the filter (if you haven't put air to it since). Take it in, and have the filter changed. The service tech can check and see if water got past the filter when he changes it. Chances are good it will be bone dry on the inside. I did this myself once. Cost me $10.00 for a new filter. In future, if you can, soak your reg while it is still on the tank and pressurized.

Getting water in the first stage won't "break" it in the way that getting water in your phone will ruin it, but water can cause corrosion so that the regulator may malfunction. Since it appears that this has just happened, it's likely you can prevent any damage simply by having a technician open it up, dry it out, make sure nothing is sticking, possibly put it in an ultrasonic cleaning bath, and re-lubricate it. If it's been a while since it was last serviced, the tech may want to change the o-rings, filter, seat, and other service parts.

In case it isn't clear, do not put it on a cylinder until you have it serviced. You can ruin your spg if you force water into it.

Back
Top Bottom