Can this be done?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CheeseWhiz

Contributor
Reaction score
Elkhart IN - Hub of Diving Adventure in the Civili
I'm looking for a new dive computer and have been attracted to some of the features of the hoseless units (OK...I'm a gadget freak...big surprise for a diver!).

I see that some of them use water temperature and rate of gas usage (as a proxy for exertion) to factor into their algorithm for determining whatever-it-is-they-determine that eventually displays as time remaining, time at a deco stop, etc etc.

My question is: with all of this grand computational ability, why isn't there an option to input individual diver characteristics, such as age or weight, which would seem to have an effect on DCS susceptibility? Are these factors much less important overall than, for example, water temp or exertion level?

I would guess the answer in that lies in the dozens of variables that would be involved to do so. Weight and age are just two variables, there are a lot more. And each one of them would have to be thouroughly analyzed and studied to see what affect they have on DCS based on other factors.

The amount of study that would go into saying a 300 pound guy who is 29 years old is .92% more suseptable to DCS than a 180 pound 29 year old would be a great undertaking scientifically I would think.

Of course then there are the liability issues, most computers use algorythms that are industry standards and quite a bit on the safe side I am sure so that if someone gets DCS there isn't nearly the liability that there would be if you could say "I bought this computer because it could be set to my specs and thereby avoid this happening to me"

Hope that helps a bit :wink:

I am assuming you are talking about the Uwatec Hoseless Computer that uses the Buhlman Adaptable Algorithm.

Since you can not accurately profile every diver's dcs risk based upon age and weight alone, they leave those decisions up to you. Using the memo mouse, you can adjust the computers level of risk. Most dive shops have a memo mouse that they will let you use to adjust them.

I think I can find 2 answers to your question:

1-Yes, those factors are very small in comparison to the other factors you mentioned.

2-Those factors were not thoroughly researched enough to enable them to be put into mathematical arguments that may be incorporated into algorithms.

I believe it was DACOR who came out with a dive computer that you could input your age, weight, height into the computer which they called the J Factor. However like everyone else said, there are more factors then that to take into consideration.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom