Can someone recommend a dive resort in Pemba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tkring

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My husband and I are planning on diving Pemba in 2008. We are currently researching hotels. Our travel agency is recommending Manta Reef Lodge but I also came across Pemba Beach Hotel. I'm curious about the dive operation (efficiency, handling of equipment) as well as resort comfort. Luxury is not important to us but air conditioning is very important (we are from south Louisiana).

Pemba Tanzania or Pemba Mozambique?

Stayed at the Manta Reef Lodge, Tanzania a couple of years ago. I enjoed it a lot. Very special place on an isolated beach on an isolated island. Don't think they had AC, you might have troubles in finding that on Pemba. Power was not on 24 hrs. Anyway there were absolutely no need for AC in my opinion (and I'm from Scandinavia) as the bungalows were open towards the sea and a gentle breeze were blowing into the room at night. It is not a carribean-style luxury resort... but very cosy and clean enough. Food was good, sometimes excellent.
The dive centre was at that time run by a South African bloke, Elton, and a Tanzanian guy Banda. Banda wasn't threre during our stay, but Elton was very good, safety oriented but experienced enough too give seasoned divers a bit of slack. And I've heard only good things about Banda. We brought our own equipment, so I can't really say anything about the rental gear besides that it looked to be in good condition at a glance. Check if they have more than one boat running. At our stay the "big" boat was out of order, and it was very hard to get hold of replacement parts. This somewhat limited our reach and we were not able to reach some of the more far away dive spots.
Have no experience from Pemba Beach hotel, but that is located in Mozambique.

good luck

Christian

Christian, thank you for the information. Our travel agency recommend Manta over the other resorts but I am shying away from it from postings on TripAdvisor.com. That's why I was interested to see others' experiences. I'll take a closer look at it again tho.

Terri

Christian, thank you for the information. Our travel agency recommend Manta over the other resorts but I am shying away from it from postings on TripAdvisor.com. That's why I was interested to see others' experiences. I'll take a closer look at it again tho.

Terri

If you want a resort, MRL seemed to have the best value for money to me. There were another more upscale place called Fundu Lagoon Resort, but it was a lot more expensive and didn't seem to offer a lot more; perhaps more luxurios food and drinks included, but essentially the same standard of living. Then there are a couple of liveaboards. I have been on MSY Jambo which is run by a german - a very romantic sailing ship which is kept spotless. There are another one which occationally sails around Pemba, the name escapes me.
Then there are two or three small yachts anchored in the Fundu Lagoon called "Pemba Afloat". You live on them and then make excursions with zodiacs. Close to nature, but I just don't see the point in having all the discomforts of living on a boat and not being able to enjoy the benefit of actually moving around.
I heard that Swahili Divers was going to open something new, a resort. Don't know if that has materialised, but the Divers Lodge was a small hostel, more like a backpackers place in the small city of Chake Chake.
I saw that Manta Reef lodge got some bad reviews. Don't know if it was because the reviewer was expecting a luxury resort or if the place has gone seriously downhill since my visit in late november 2005. Even though Pemba Island is relatively close to urban areas, one should have in mind that it is a very remote place. Time has been standing still for the last 100 years or so, more or less. Tourist infrastructure besides what Manta Reef Lodge, MSY Jambo, Fundu Lagoon, Pemba Afloat and Swahili Divers can offer are zero on the island. And infrastructure in general on the island leaves a lot to be desired. This is the third world. Tourism has not reached this place like on Zanzibar just a couple of hours to the south. You have to put that into the equation, otherwise you might end up disappointed. Or delighted. If you're up to it, it is a very special place. The island is beatiful and the cultural mix of Arabic, Indian and Swahili heritage is very intersting. Diving is very good if you are lucky with the conditions. And you are always alone on the reefs. Heck, I think my party were the only tourists on the whole island during our visit...

good luck

Christian, You are correct. I do need to keep this in perspective. My husband and I are fine with limited amenities - our needs are few. It's the surprises that I don't like - especially when you travel 1/2 way around the world. You think you are getting one thing and arrive to find out differently. I use travel agencies but find their knowledge is limited and sometimes incorrect. This is why I like to reach out to this forum to find people who have actually been there. I trust you guys more than anyone.

Thank you again, Terri

Pemba Tanzania or Pemba Mozambique?

Just saw this!. I didn't know there was a difference. This may be why my travel agency didn't offer Pemba Resort. I'll do more research. THANKS!

Christian, You are correct. I do need to keep this in perspective. My husband and I are fine with limited amenities - our needs are few. It's the surprises that I don't like - especially when you travel 1/2 way around the world. You think you are getting one thing and arrive to find out differently. I use travel agencies but find their knowledge is limited and sometimes incorrect. This is why I like to reach out to this forum to find people who have actually been there. I trust you guys more than anyone.

Thank you again, Terri

Completely understand your situation. I trust very few travel agents. Only glad if I can reinburse for some of the advice I've gotten on this forum myself over the years. What comes around...

good luck

Christian

Hi Terri,

If you are looking at Pemba Mozambique, I work for the company that has three resorts out there so can offer you a quote at Pemba Beach Hotel and Spa and make a booking for you! Please let me know!

Regards,
Rani

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom