Can someone identify these?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree with Walter. The dark fish is definitely a damselfish, which as he says are no more than 5 inches long, so you are way overestimating the size of the lobster. The yellowish fish appear to be longnose butterflyfish, which also aren't huge fish and also indicate the lobster is not a giant. This is probably the common lobster found in Hawaii, although the legs and antennae of those in your photo are darker than usual.

These are Black Footed Spiny Lobsters and they are common to the Indo Pacific Region. The Yellow Fish are Long nosed Forcipigers (Forcipiger flavissimus) and the blak fish are Common White Eared Damesel Fish (Parma microlepus) once again both common to the Indo Pacific Region.

Both the Forcipiger and Damesel grow to a maximum of 5" in length. The Lobsters can grow to over three feet in length but are more common around the 18" size!

Peter

Peter

Last edited:
Where was the photo taken?

The lobster appear to be Spiny Lobster...

Hello, Walter. :)

Thanks for the info guys, I mis-identified the black fish then.

As far as the camera usage, no idea why it was on that mode. Thanks for pointing that out though I'll check the exif for some other shots. (Yeah I know the picture isn't too great either)

Really appreciate it guys been curious about those things for awhile.

Largest lobsters I have ever seen were in Vietnam... in the 1 meter body size...and it was one scary thing to see in the water... then pacific spiny's.. around 600 to 800 millimeter body size.. and some rare Atlantic spiny's... of a similar size. All tend to look different than your average regular sized guy...body proportions have to change as they get larger

This is one around 400 to 500 millimeters (body size):

Lobster1.jpg

One gets to look up at them at this size..and they are at least as wide as they are long..

Here is one something over 600mm....I wanted a low picture but he (or she) charged me... so all I got was a backing away shot..it's antenna were at least 1.3 meters long.

Not sure what it was going to do to me, but they are very, very impressive when that big.

Lobster2-1.jpg

I see the following:

Panularius marginatus-spiny lobster
Forcipiger sp. (either flavissimus or longirostris)- long-nosed butterflyfish
Dascyllus albisella-a small damselfish-the black fish in picture
Priolepis sp.?-the small yellow fish behind the left P. marginatus and on the cave floor under the left F. flavissimus.
The damsel on the left could also be Stegastes fasciatus, but more likely is a second Dascyllus albisella.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom