Can someone identify these?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MadKap

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
img0850ds.jpg

I believe the black fish in this picture are triggerfish, but what are the lobster creatures? I found them around 130-140ft feet in molokini. They were enormous!

>> but what are the lobster creatures?

Madkap, this may surprise you :), but the lobster creatures are lobsters!

Hahahahaaa... Pretty much what I was thinking. :)

I don't know what particular brand, but it's one of the spiny lobsters - that is, those without claws.

Very nice specimens, by the way...

They just seemed too big to be lobsters to me... I guess I've just never seen any of that size. The black fish there was probably about a foot long so the lobster's bodies were probably around 3 feet long. I guess being that this is a no-fishing zone these guys could be really old, just living under this rock for decades.

I believe the black fish in this picture are triggerfish, but what are the lobster creatures? I found them around 130-140ft feet in molokini. They were enormous!

EXIF of your photo

Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot G9
Image Date: 2008:03:27 08:56:58
Flash Used: Yes (Manual, red eye reduction mode)
Focal Length: 7.4mm
CCD Width: 5.91mm
Exposure Time: 0.017 s (1/60)
Aperture: f/2.8
ISO equiv: 250
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Matrix

"Manual, red eye reduction mode" underwater, why?

Looks like a Banded spiny lobster - Panulirus marginatus.

Where was the photo taken?

The lobster appear to be Spiny Lobster, and the black fish appears to be a Damselfish of some
sort. The photo is not very clear. Damsels are typically 3 - 5 inches long. Again, the photo
isn't clear, but the yellow fish look like juvenile Blue Tang which would indicate the Damselfish
is not close to a foot long.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom