Can someone from or visiting Amerbris Caye help me out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghost Diver

Reaction score
On my visit to Amergris Caye in 2002 I purchased a necklace from a local artist. This man setup a small table on the sand near the blue water grill. I lost the necklace hiking in the Adirondack Park. If someone is willing to help me out and locate another one, I am willing to reward your time.

The necklace I bought had a jaguar and barracuda tooth, embedded in some sort of Terra Cotta resin. It had a small blue round stone on top with some stainless steel wire wrappings around it. A black leather string with bamboo beads held it around your neck.

If you can help me, or get me into contact with the artist, please respond or email me at dscheck@rochester"remove".rr.com

Thanks

You sure it was a jaguar tooth and not one off some old stray dog? I haven't seen many jags missing teeth around here. And it would be frowned upon to kill one just for his teeth. But I was just in SP this weekend. man, it's grown since 02. I didn't see anyone selling anything like what you describe on the beach.

Hank,

Thanks for the reply. I didn't think I had a chance to find another, but I needed to try.

Move from Introductions & Greets forum.

Hank49:
And it would be frowned upon to kill one just for his teeth. .

In the US, the frown becomes a felony upon importation.

I doubt a jewelry maker went out and killed a Jaguar, he told me it was a Jaguar tooth he found in a reserve. I doubt that was true, but who am I to judge..

Anyways, he made some very nice necklaces...

I doubt most scrimshaw artists went out and killed their own elephants/walrus/whatnot for the ivory, either. They just create the market for those who do.

But I get your meaning - there are legitimate ways to get things like that; I'm joshing you not intentionally knocking you. I have an earring carved into a small skull that's made from ivory the artist swore was fossilized walrus ivory (dug up from a carcass in a glacier, legally, not poached) and would be devastated if I lost it. I have no idea the artist's name at this point nor how to find a replacement....any more than I 'know' the ivory is fossilized or even ivory and not bakelite for that matter! :wink:

It was worth the try to ask!! I would've in your shoes...

RTRski:
It was worth the try to ask!! I would've in your shoes...

Check with the customs guy when you try to import any cat product. He really doesn't care what documentation you may wish to present. You are a felon.

Even if you simply falsely believe it to be of a Jaguar, if the DOJ has nothing else to do, they could hang you on that, as well. Intent will suffice. Just ask Rush Limbaugh.

Same goes for any endangered critter, whether that Turtle product item was from farm raised turtles or whether it was 1500 years old from an excavation.

Hard time is possible. Just so y'all are clear on this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom