can some one recommend a cleaner for aluminum after machining it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

landonnin1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I made a few parts out of aluminum and was wondering what is the best cleaner to use to remove the tooling oil that will be safe for breathing air ?

thank you
Matt

I would\do use denatured alcohol followed by warm water and dish detergent and a good rinse. Any amount that gets past that is so small it's of no concern.

Denatured alcohol is good. Dish detergent would work, but if you are paranoia, I'd suggest baby feeding-bottle cleaners. Like such: cleaning-liquid.jpg

I just use simple green for everything diving related.

+1 for simple green

Thank you to everyone for the good info, the last time I used simple green on aluminum it discolored it, that is why I was asking what everyone else would use

Simple Green

Simple Green followed by a run though the dishwaser.

Is it oxidized? If it has any oxidation, I would use something acidic, like vinegar. Otherwise, simple green if the oil is really stubborn.
Actually, I usually use vinegar and water as my go-to cleaner for most stuff. My other favorite is barkeepers friend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom