Can Light Questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UCFKnightDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So looking for a hid can light soon... and was just trying to research it. Found some info but here it goes.

Speaking of the bulbs hid of course theres welch allyn which I think makes the bulb solarc... is this true or does welch allyn make several different bulbs or is welch allyn an individual bulb itself?

Then theres the bright star bulbs vs. the solarc bulbs vs if welch allyn makes any other bulbs..... I have heard that brightstar bulbs are alot more durrable and less likely to break is this a big factor? Is it really a big differene?

I have a chance to buy a 2005 Sartek 10W Hid and was wondering if anyone could tell me what bulb is in it I read that originally sartek used welch allyn bulbs (which I assume would be the solarc bulb) but switched to using brightstar bulbs at some point which bulb will this light have?

Buying a 2005 light am I at risk of having the bulb burn out soon? Because its pretty expensive to replace a HID bulb 100+ dollars. Also am I at risk of having the battery not be so great i believe its a Li Ion battery.

Thanks for the help.
Ryan

Speaking of the bulbs hid of course theres welch allyn which I think makes the bulb solarc... is this true or does welch allyn make several different bulbs or is welch allyn an individual bulb itself?

Welch Allyn is a bulb manufacturer. They make a great many bulbs:
Welch Allyn High Performance and Advanced Lighting Technology

This is the Solarc Bulb:
Welch Allyn - Lighting Products Division

Then theres the bright star bulbs vs. the solarc bulbs vs if welch allyn makes any other bulbs..... I have heard that brightstar bulbs are alot more durable and less likely to break is this a big factor? Is it really a big differene?

Yes. the Brightstar bulbs is more durable. Yes it is a big factor. Yes it is really a big difference.

I have a chance to buy a 2005 Sartek 10W Hid and was wondering if anyone could tell me what bulb is in it I read that originally sartek used welch allyn bulbs (which I assume would be the solarc bulb) but switched to using brightstar bulbs at some point which bulb will this light have?

The only Sartek light I've seen from that vintage I believe had a W/A bulb in it. But call Sartek to be sure. They can tell you how to determine which one you have.

Buying a 2005 light am I at risk of having the bulb burn out soon?

Yes. Sooner.

Also am I at risk of having the battery not be so great i believe its a Li Ion battery.

Yes, the battery could also be a risk. It should be burn tested, or you should just plan on buying a new one.

I'm going to be honest with you. For cave diving, next to your regs, your light is your next most important lifeline. Do NOT try to save pennies here. Buy a used wing. Buy cheaper fins, take fewer trips. But your light is a lifeline. Don't bet your life on a light you are not 100% sure about.

I'm going to be honest with you. For cave diving, next to your regs, your light is your next most important lifeline. Do NOT try to save pennies here. Buy a used wing. Buy cheaper fins, take fewer trips. But your light is a lifeline. Don't bet your life on a light you are not 100% sure about.

So true.

I just got a new Hid light. Its a Halcyon 18w/9. I have to say its the most powerfull light I've ever seen

Sorry,

I somehow read into this that the OP was cave diving. In review he does not mention that so I apologize for the assumption.

For those heading into caves, I still stand by what I wrote.... :)

I was thinking of doing cavern with it but you have a good point. By the way the model is MINI5H10MR11S and I sent them an email late last night, but it being a weekend, I am not expecting a response for a couple of days, so any help in advance is greatly appreciated thanks for the responses so far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom