Can I Use Double Cylinders for Aqualung Pro LT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Bent Benny
simply, it helps activate the mammalian diving reflex
Diving reflex - Wikipedia

to perform one, put the mask on the back of your head, regulator or snorkel in your mouth, and breathe. Breathe until your heart rate slows down from the shock of the cold water and you start to feel relaxed. They get shorter and shorter as you get more experienced with them, but the first couple can take a few minutes until you really calm down. This also helps if you have a sudden mask flood from feeling like you got sucker punched by a heavyweight boxer which is a distinctly unpleasant feeling.

@Bent Benny
simply, it helps activate the mammalian diving reflex
Diving reflex - Wikipedia

to perform one, put the mask on the back of your head, regulator or snorkel in your mouth, and breathe. Breathe until your heart rate slows down from the shock of the cold water and you start to feel relaxed. They get shorter and shorter as you get more experienced with them, but the first couple can take a few minutes until you really calm down. This also helps if you have a sudden mask flood from feeling like you got sucker punched by a heavyweight boxer which is a distinctly unpleasant feeling.
According to the wikipedia article you linked the reflex is more dramatic when breath holding underwater than when breathing (though it is still activated when breathing) so I am thinking it would be better to hold my breath just below the surface to help it kick in quicker. Thanks for sharing that. I have heard of it before but that helped jog my memory.

According to the wikipedia article you linked the reflex is more dramatic when breath holding underwater than when breathing (though it is still activated when breathing) so I am thinking it would be better to hold my breath just below the surface to help it kick in quicker. Thanks for sharing that. I have heard of it before but that helped jog my memory.

breathing on the surface helps to calm your nerves though and you need to have the water on your face so doing it at the surface means you can still defog your mask before descending. Which is another advantage of the cold water treatment by cooling your skin temperature down the mask will be less prone to fog

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom