Can I use any 1st stage with a 2nd stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fourseventeen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
This may be a stupid question but here it goes :popcorn: My wife has an Aqua Lung Titan kit I purchased a couple of years ago. I am buying a Oceanic dive computer that will allow me to install a wireless transmitter onto her 1st stage so I can monitor my wifes air while we dive. Her 1st stage has only 1 HP port which is being used for her pressure guage. SO it appears she needs a new 1st stage?. Can I purchase any 1st stage and have it work with her regulator shes breathing from or will I need to replace both the 1st and 2nd stage as a kit? I am not wanting to spend a fortune. we are both novice recreational divers. Any advice is appreciated.

Most 1st stages will work fine; you just need to stay away from poseidon or any other 1st stage that uses a high IP. Any aqualung or scubapro 1st will work.

But you might not even need that, you can probably get a HP adapter that will split the output of the hp port on her reg. I think the trident catalog has something that will work.

Or, and this one will be a favorite of your dive shop, buy two wireless computers and I think you can monitor each other's air supply. What fun.....

Or, you could simply ask your wife how much air she has. Isn't any good relationship based on communication?

You can generally use any first stage, but the 2nd stage should be re-tuned to the new first stage.... when a regulator is serviced, you set the intermediate pressure (IP) of the first stage, then tune the 2nd stage for optimum performance with that first stage. If you buy a new first stage, and it's IP is fairly close to the IP of the "old" first stage, you are probably just fine... if not, a technician can reset the 2nd stage for you (it is simple).

Best wishes.

You only need the first stage........There you go.

There you go.
Monitoring your wife's air is a really smart idea. Can I use it.

Or, you could simply ask your wife how much air she has. Isn't any good relationship based on communication?

LOL yeah we communicate fairly well but she has this habit of wanting to check her air every 30 freakin seconds and not able to pay much attention to her dive. Shes brand new and just did her first ocean dive so I think shes being just a little to cautious. Figured eventually I would just get another wireless transmitter so I can watch her air too. She isnt a tech junkie and hates electronics...if she had her way she wouldnt even have her cobra. She likes things to be as simple as possible so a watch mounted comp I dont think she would care much for. Anyway I have been wanting to swap to a DIN mrk 25 so maybe ill just hand her down my yoke mrk 25 instead of buying the adapter for mine. I have a line up on a very slightly used mrk 25 din reg.

Thanks guys for all the info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom