Can I use an Atomic SS1 with an Airtrimmed BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for connecting, thats exactly why i am asking. Why would one NOT go with the airtrim design of the Mares Dragon MRS? I personally love it, so much more convenient than having to raise the inflator over my head and much better buoyancy control. I've read nothing but amazing reviews about it, being one of the best BCDs on the market...so whats not to like? Im obviously new and have a lot to learn so by all means, educate me ha.

Why Not?
Because its over complicated and you can't wash out the valving and lines which make it function, so you need to get it serviced at much shorter intervals then a normal hose inflator BCD/BPW setup.
Mine has had issues with the amount it dumps, it got has got slower in its dump rate.
Now 6month old dragon AT MRS bcd sits in the garage doing nothing.
- I now use a Zeagle 30lb wing with SS BP, I use heaps less lead to be correctly weighted and find it much easier to trim myself and less effort swimming against current or back to my boat.
I use to get about 50minutes using an AL80 with the Dragon, now with my Zeagle BP/W rig I get always over 60minutes, best time was 82minutes.
As for dumping I use the bottom dump valve, entering the water I roll over the gunwale with the wing sucked out empty and sink immediately to the bottom/ anchor position- this also saves air to get down to use on the rest of my dive.

I thought the same as you "wow it's fantastic!!!!"
If I knew what I do now, I wouldn't of bought it, would of gone straight to a BP/W.
Hindsight is 20/20
Cheers,
Damon
PS- I would get a separate octo just the same, it is better for doing any of the advanced padi ticket exercises anyhow- again an octo is a backup if you do need it someday you want it to work easily, because you will be stressing out anyhow.

I agree. I've used the airtrim for 8 years and I love it. Just had to have it servived for the first time because the vent control was sticking. Not bad for putting it through 350 dives.

However, I am not a fan of the MRS+ weight system. We use them at the aquarium and I've had a pocket fall out at least four times(in 150 dives). I've seen many reports from others who have had this same problem. On my personal BCD I have the older MRS design and have never had one fall out.

8years one service????
I did 50 dives in about 6weeks with it and it has sticky response to dumping, washed it properly every time as I asked how on the MARES forum and never got a answer about cleaning out the valves, tubes and buttons- I would suggest the other brand with the lever QD thingy by aqualung as it has less complication and is more streamlined- but still a BP/W is superior to any bcd imho.

Just curious, if you use airtrim, you don't have a inflator, then WHY do you need a SS1 which is a inflator/2nd stage combo? Why not just get regular 2nd stage?

Just curious, if you use airtrim, you don't have a inflator, then WHY do you need a SS1 which is a inflator/2nd stage combo? Why not just get regular 2nd stage?

Yes +1, I'm having a hard time visualizing how this would work, seems like it wouldn't? and if it is doesn't seem like it would be practical as others have said "complex" and I imagine outside of your normal dive buddy possibly confusing in an emergency. Are those type of BCs common? I don't think I've ever seen one outside of a shop. So back to the OPs question Id personally go with the a standard Octo.

Back
Top Bottom