Can I use an Atomic SS1 with an Airtrimmed BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

big twinn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just purchased a Mares Dragon Airtrimmed MRS BCD...and I LOVE it!!! Im looking at purchasing an Atomic Aquatics SS1 safe seconds regulator rather than an octo, is this device counter productive when matched with an air trimmed bcd? Not sure how useful the inflator buttons would be, if my bcd uses airtrimming with the inflator already permanently on the side. Thoughts/opinions from the experts?

Where/how would you connect it? Beside, I didn't think anyone would actually buy a BC like that anymore...

Where/how would you connect it? Beside, I didn't think anyone would actually buy a BC like that anymore...

As for connecting, thats exactly why i am asking. Why would one NOT go with the airtrim design of the Mares Dragon MRS? I personally love it, so much more convenient than having to raise the inflator over my head and much better buoyancy control. I've read nothing but amazing reviews about it, being one of the best BCDs on the market...so whats not to like? Im obviously new and have a lot to learn so by all means, educate me ha.

As for connecting, thats exactly why i am asking. Why would one NOT go with the airtrim design of the Mares Dragon MRS? I personally love it, so much more convenient than having to raise the inflator over my head and much better buoyancy control. I've read nothing but amazing reviews about it, being one of the best BCDs on the market...so whats not to like? Im obviously new and have a lot to learn so by all means, educate me ha.

I don't want to come off and say air-trim is a gizmo and you don't need it (being a old geezer, it tempting), but you may find with more dives you learn to control buoyancy more with your lungs and minimize the need to add/dump air using either a conventional arrangement or air trim which saves gas. What I will say is simpler is better and before adding complexity, you need to be sure there is a payoff. Sometimes its worthwhile, sometimes not. The air trim is one more complexity and the SS1 another complexity, but the combination of both pushes the complexity to a new level with no advantages.

Regarding the reviews, I have an extremely low opinion of most. Often they are merely a marketing tool paired with advertising in the same magazine. Look carefully at the all the reviews in the publications and check if there are any negative or even tepid reviews, the absence of which would indicate either the reviewers are not objective or all equipment is good and in both cases negating the value of the reviews.

Very intelligent reply, it doesn't fall on deaf ears! Yea, the SS1 doesn't seem like it would benefit me in anyway with the current BC. My thoughts on it initially was that there would be one less hose dangling about, but the inflator addition just has no use for my BC. I do like that the airtrim features the inflator on the side, in which case it will always be in the same convenient hands on location. A standard quality octopus will prob. suit me perfectly with more safety.

To directly answer your question - no it can be used because these types of BCDs do not have corrugated hose from the inflator mechanism. So you will need to use a std. secondary regulator for your backup.

Why would one NOT go with the airtrim design of the Mares Dragon MRS? I personally love it.

I agree. I've used the airtrim for 8 years and I love it. Just had to have it servived for the first time because the vent control was sticking. Not bad for putting it through 350 dives.

However, I am not a fan of the MRS+ weight system. We use them at the aquarium and I've had a pocket fall out at least four times(in 150 dives). I've seen many reports from others who have had this same problem. On my personal BCD I have the older MRS design and have never had one fall out.

Back
Top Bottom