Can I take shears in my carry on luggage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mempilot

i know what you mean by the rules its stupid, i can think of about a dozen items easy that you would never suspect that you could injury/kill a person with that TSA will let through.

there taking nail clippers again, i dont get that i can do a lot more damage with my EMT hip kit(shears, forceps, and a misc array of first aid stuff) then what clippers could ever do, and yes i was allowed to carry it on with it on my hip through metal detectors and this was at washington DC national ( im sorry it aint regan, its national always has and will be) airport this past year

I was on a flight they were taking everything away from people including a dead laptop, the battery was dead so they confiscated it. But the guy in front of me had a case of 12 bottles of wine as his only carry on, I thought it was ridiculous he got on with weapons for 12 people and the poor guy with poor battery management skills had his laptop pulled (they wouldn’t let him plug it in to test it; which he had been doing to work in the lounge that morning, I saw him there).

That's what happens when you hire people that could just as easily work in Mc Donalds to do security work............

RiverRat:
That's what happens when you hire people that could just as easily work in Mc Donalds to do security work............

That's pretty much how they got hired. The previous 'security' (rent-a-something's) worked for companies like Argenbrite, Wackenhut, etc... I'm not making these names up. Their backgrounds were questionable, their education non-existent, and their qualifications deplorable. When the TSA was formed, they hired all of these people. Then they did FBI background checks. They fired all the criminals (quite a few), and kept the ones smart enough not to get caught. Then they promoted the few with supervisory training. Oh yeah, they all got raises. A starting TSA employee makes $37000 annually and a supervisor makes just shy of $60000. To compare, a regional airline captain makes $45000 to $55000 and a regional airline first officer makes $18000 to $25000. The pilots have 4yr degrees, are obviously intelligent, pass a more rigorous psych and FBI background check, and can't have even minor violations on their records. But they get paid less than these Federal converts with GED's.

By the way, the entire security force at the Minneapolis Airport are from Somalia. I'm not kidding! The guy that hired them under the pre-TSA had ties there. Now they scan you guys for nail files.

I called TSA the other night, as a concerned airline pilot, about lost luggage floating around at airports and being placed on aircraft with no positive tracking. These bags don't belong to a passenger on the plane, nor do they go through any form of screening again. After being lost in the system for several days, any number of people could use these bags to ship contraband or place explosives on board an aircraft.

I was brushed off by a TSA field supervisor and told someone would call me the following day to follow up. I'm still waiting for that call. Eye candy for the public being paid for with your tax dollars.

I was brushed off by a TSA field supervisor and told someone would call me the following day to follow up. I'm still waiting for that call. Eye candy for the public being paid for with your tax dollars.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Please don't hold your breath waiting. You will certainly embolize. Ain't it grand???

BJD

Unbelievable............Maybe all you pilots could quit flying and work for TSA? You'd make more $'s and have the intelligence to do the job correctly. But then who would fly the planes? Hard to believe, you guys have really gotten crapped on by the airlines.

mempilot:
I called TSA the other night, as a concerned airline pilot, about lost luggage floating around at airports and being placed on aircraft with no positive tracking. These bags don't belong to a passenger on the plane, nor do they go through any form of screening again. After being lost in the system for several days, any number of people could use these bags to ship contraband or place explosives on board an aircraft.

I was in Amersterdam on a missed connection, they kept my bag in Birmingham, UK. I left Amsterdam the next day, still without my bag, but it did arrive 2 days later. I was not with my bag for any of the trip from Birmingham, UK to Fort Wayne, IN, USA.

TC

I recently flew from Salt Lake City to Sacramento on Delta and because I wanted to get the remainder of the dive gear I had left in Utah to Cali, I also brought my very expensive lead weights. The weight made my checked bags too heavy so I was told to carry on my two 5 pound rubber covered solid lead weights. My carry on was checked by the TSA guys at a side table and once the inspector saw the weights and showed them to a supervisor, I was allowed to take them on board. I fully expected to have them confiscated especially when I saw the "no blunt force objects" picture on the way to the screening area. I guess the TSA guy didn't imagine you could crack a skull with ten pounds of lead. Maybe its cause I didn't look like a terrorist. I am thankful, however, that I got to bring my weights. The sad truth is that on any given day, the same people could probably have chosen to confiscate them.

come on what do u think

did anyone notice what the plates in first class were made of when they made the planes "safer" by taking away the metal knives. i dont think so... break one of those and you have a very sharp object. My friends family has a very funny story involving a greek security screener, but thats for later...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom