can I switch batteries?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just picked up a used UK dive lite that uses 8 D batteries. I read somewhere that if you go with the rechargable batteries, it will be brighter something like 14 watts vs 30 watts. Where can I get the internal parts to change over? Does UK sell it separatly? What would be a reasonable cost to buy it?

it should not matter. D size batteries are 1.5V each. a Rechargeable batteries are 1.2V. The amount of watts is based on the lamp being used. a 14W lamp only uses 14W. A watt is the amount of power something uses. (1W = 1J/Sec; 1 hp. = 746 W)

then why go to Rechargeable ? It has to do with amps. take a basic AA battery (alkalines; one time use type) they are about 200mAh (milliamp-hour) meaning that they can give about .2 Amps per hour of power. The new Rechargeable are about 2000-2200 mAh (2.0-2.2 Amps per hour) and will last about 5 times longer.

I think the best D size Rechargeable is like 11,000mAh.
Also NiMh are better the Nickel-Cadmium (Ni-Cd) (A lot better)
now if you buy Lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries some things are different. a 2000mAh Li-ion battery is better then a 2000mAh NiMh.

If you really want I can get more detailed.

I am confused enough with that explanation. I was given a UK brochure today, and in it they were advertizing the 30 watt rechargable upgrade, don't know how they go about it but they claim it is brighter 30 watts VS 14 watts, anyhow, I called them and asked, and it appears that my UK1200 is too old as it has a screw in lamp, so the upgrade is no longer available. Oh well it's bright enough as it is. Thanks for the info

I'm pretty sure tey include a new bulb, higher wattage maybe? They may also trade burn time for brightness...my guess anyway

what it sounds like is that they would have gave you a new bulb. it might have been the new HID lamp which 25 (equivalent), 10 (actual) watts.

kind of like lamps you can buy for your house now that only use 15Watts but are as bright as 90Watt lamps.

The rechargeable battery pack for the D8R is 8 4400 Mah (milliamphour) batteries wired together. SO... you can just buy 8 high capacity (at least 4400 Mah) batteries and the D8R bulb (30w), a suitable charger and it will work exactly the same. I've done it to 3 UK 400 and turned them into 400r's. They work exactly the same.
Batteries can be gotten from various places. I use these guys:
http://thomas-distributing.com/index.htm

There is some information on the site about NiMh batteries-read it. You can get D-cells up to about 11,000 Mah now-the bigger the number the longer they last. Get a good automatic charge to go with it. The whole pack will be about the same as a UK retro-fit but actually be better quality.

Be SUPER careful about flooding rechargeables. They go absolutely nuts if shorted. DO NOT run them DEAD!!! Just to the point of the light dimming. NiMh supposedly don't have the memory problem of NiCads so it doesn't matter as much.

Fritz

Since your going to a bighter bulp it may give off more heat and you may need a new heat resistant reflector. Isn't this part of the rechargeable kit. If not, ignore my post.

ScubaSarus:
Since your going to a bighter bulp it may give off more heat and you may need a new heat resistant reflector. Isn't this part of the rechargeable kit. If not, ignore my post.

yes, it's part of the rechargeable kit. On a trip if the light floods, you can still dry it out, replace it with the old reflector, & original/new batteries and off u go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom