Can I simply thread another weight onto the tank band of my BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
On page 12 of the "manual" that arrived with my wing, it shows what simply looks like a 5# belt weight sort of threaded onto the upper tank band - on the top side of the cylinder.

I'm not using an STA - so the V/P/Channel weight won't apply. But I like the concept of being able to add weight to the back, near the cylinder.

Looks like an interesting way to accomplish two things:

1) Non-ditachable trim weights (like my SeaQuest used to have) to improve above water attitude (avoiding the face push often associated with back inflate BC's)

2) Take another 5'er off the hips. This makes 11 non-ditchable (plate 6 plus 5 block)...not a problem as I've been diving with 8 in the back for awhile.

I think for objective number one, it would be better to thread it through the bottom cylinder band, no?

Thanks -

Ken

My suggestion: Read the quote in my signature line.

Then go to the pool or lake or whatever and try a few different configurations and see what works best for you.

One thing to keep in mind, threading a weight through the tank band may reduce its ability to securely hold the tank.

I still bet you could bolt one of my OMS doohickeys in the channel on your plate and have 1-5# of non-ditchable weight..

You dive doubles, right? Is that the V weight thingamabob?

Wonder how that would work in the plate channel? I won't have an STA... Maybe I could wedge it in there by tying the thing to the flambus... :confused:

I don't see any real reason not to put a weight on the tank strap. You just need to make sure that it won't affect the straps ability to hold the tank.

I think you can use a channel weight even if you are not using a STA.

My Halcyon dosn't push me forward on the surface so, you don't really need the weight as a counterbalance.

During my DIR-F, my instructor (Tamara Kendel) recommended to do just that. I never tried it out b/c I switched everything over to doubles before I had a chance.

M

Mo2vation once bubbled...
You dive doubles, right? Is that the V weight thingamabob?

Wonder how that would work in the plate channel? I won't have an STA... Maybe I could wedge it in there by tying the thing to the flambus... :confused:
It is a thingamajigger technically, but a flambus or a doohickey works too... :D

http://www.omsdive.com/bc_access.html

It's the doodad in the middle...the BCACB. I tried sitting it in the channel last night and it looked like it would work...now mind you I didn't fasten a wing to it, etc., but it sits nicely in there right behind the MC pack and since it is filled with lead shot, it conformed to the slot nicely.

Just an idea...and seems a lot more streamlined (IMHO) that a weight hanging off the tank strap (keel weight)..

Back
Top Bottom