Can I/should I environmentally seal my Zeagle Envoy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LG Diver

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all,

I have a Zeagle Envoy reg that I use for my pony bottle. I dive in fairly cold water (Monterey, CA) most of the time- water temps usually in the low 50's F. Is it possible to retrofit this reg (affordably) to make it environmentally sealed, and is this something that would provide any benefit? I realize that at this temp it's borderline on freezing. I usually dive with the tank valve on, but the "dive/pre-dive" switch on "pre-dive" to avoid freeflow (so risk of freezing from freeflowing 2nd stage is minimized). I would think that even if there's no real risk of freezing at this temp, it might prolong the life of the reg. Thoughts?

The parts are available to retrofit your Envoy by purchasing a new clamping ring/IP adjuster, hydro-transmitter (plastic button), silicone diaphragm and diaphragm clamp. Zeagle also recommends replacing the main diaphragm when you remove the clamping ring as it will be compressed and may not get re-clamped securely. You can also purchase the heat exchanger for your second stage.

I dont think you should worry about "freeze up" in Cal, If you are diving some frozen lakes on a consistant basis I would consider retrofitting or getting a sealed reg.

You have to travel along way to find salt water that is cold enough to freeze up a reg, having the reg set so it wont free flow is a good procedure to practice in all conditions, even better if its frigid out.

I dive in the PNW and Northern British Columbia often and have yet to have a problem with my regs, SP Mk 25 S600.

If you do plan on diving really harsh conditions like polluted water are working in mud conditions then you should have a sealed first stage, if that could be in your future maybe you could consider that in your future reg.

I also dont think that the life of your reg will be in jepordy

good luck

JUMBO

I would suggest maybe charging the pony bottle and turning it off as long as you can see the guages and reach the valve. As for the temps you're talking about I've never seen a reg freeze up above 36 degrees, and its not the water temps doing it as much as the way you breathe it. If you're not breathing your pony above water, just charge the reg and have it ready. I don't think freezing a first stage should be a high concern in 50 degrees.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom