Can I get a lot of dives in Cozumel affordably?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tekkie once bubbled...
The morning dives are usually 80-90ft max for 30-40 min, 50 min surface interval, 60ft max for 45-50min. On almost any tables these numbers are in the red after a dive. [then added] According to US Navy tables I was fine
I suggest you look again at the NOAA/Navy tables. 81-90' for 31-40 minutes puts you into pressure group K, 50 min SI only gets you to I. You have ZERO allowable time at 60'.

It sounds like you were just following a DM around and relying upon him to dive a safe profile.

This is a good example of where a computer that tracks multilevel dives is a good idea.

Thanks all for the many great options! (This board rules!)

I had been shying away from the shore diving from what I had read about the quality of the just-off-shore reefs and the strong current, but it looks as though I should look into that some more.

Does anyone have any thoughts about the differences (both financial as well as overall diving enjoyment) of the resorts versus getting a cheap hotel and going with the independent operators?

-Mike

brez once bubbled...
I had been shying away from the shore diving from what I had read about the quality of the just-off-shore reefs and the strong current, but it looks as though I should look into that some more.

Does anyone have any thoughts about the differences (both financial as well as overall diving enjoyment) of the resorts versus getting a cheap hotel and going with the independent operators?
A oceanside resort with a reef (or at least some artificial reef habit/junkpiles) offshore make shore diving really easy.

It would probably be cheaper though, to use one of the cheaper hotels in town. It's a bit more trouble, but you could always hop in a taxi to get to a decent shore dive.

Others will probably jump in with other suggestions, but while wandering around town, one hotel right on the central square caught my attention as a possible place to stay: Hotel Meson. A google on "hotel meson cozumel" brings up lots of package deals.

on this same thread, I know the shore diving in coz does not compare with boats and I know it won't be "great", but I too intend to pop some shore dives on top of my boats.

My question is, what are the guidelines for taking tanks from one hotel to another. i read a post which said this is acceptable, but wondered if anyone had done it?

I will probably have to hop a taxi to get to a shore site, but can I take the tanks from my operator to another?(mine says tanks for shore are free with multi-day) will I have problems at the other site if I do not rent with them?

thanks

jackie

I don't know of any places that try to keep out outside tanks. It's probably not an issue as its a lot more hassle to lug the tanks and weights around in and out of the taxi, and so very few people attempt it. As $6 is the going price for tank and weights, it may or may not be worth the extra work.

Now in Bonaire, it is an entirely different issue, as the resorts have put lots of money into their shore entry facilities and everybody has tanks in the back of their rental pickup, so some resorts insist on a fee for outside tanks

One advantage of shore diving in Cozumel is that you do not pay the 20 peso daily marine park fee. The down side is the huge volume of boat traffic that runs near the shore, limits the area that you can go out without worrying about getting propped if you surface to get your bearings. However, sites such as Villablanca are fun shallow dives with a lot of macro life around the coral heads. We got some of really outstanding pictures there this July.

On every morning dive I was following what the dive master said to do. I just kept myself atleast 5ft above him all the time because I knew I was pushing the tables every dive.

Stay at the Presidente. It's paradise on earth. Scuba Du on-site is pretty good. Or just sign up with an in town shop and they will pick you up at the hotel. It's worth the extra few bucks.

Jason

Im looking to goto Coz in early December. Probably staying at Brisas. Trying to decide to dive with Aqua Safari, Papa Hogs, or anyone else?? I sould have about 25 dives in by the end of summer, so I am still new to diving. Not looking for anything too advanced, and I will be bringing my own gear (except tank/weights). Any recomendations?

Depth Gauge once bubbled...
Stay at the Presidente. It's paradise on earth. Scuba Du on-site is pretty good. Or just sign up with an in town shop and they will pick you up at the hotel. It's worth the extra few bucks.

Jason
If the original poster, Brez, is worrying about the cost of his extra dives, then he would probably be better off getting a cheap hotel, and using the extra money on dive boats.

IMO, the Presidente does have the very best "front of hotel" reef in Cozumel. Unfortunately, they charge a service fee for non-guests to use the facilities. I guess this is the result of all the cruise people.

Since I've never used these guys it's not like I can vouch for them but ScubaLand here in Austin hooked us up with Xtabay Dive Shop. They are providing four dives a day (2 morning, one twilight, and one night dive), over a two day period for a total of eight dives. The total cost for all dives is $250 per person. $31.25 per dive (including the night dives) seemed pretty reasonable to me. I can't vouch for their service yet, so I'll let you know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom