Can I dive without an octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As someone who went through the ascent training, nope they teach slow exhale just like a CESA
So what you are saying is they have changed the procedures. It would be interesting to see a source for that and when the change took place.

1. Here is information from a submarine history site. It is a direct quotation from Our Navy magazine.

Here is an excerpt:

“Buoyant ascent—or ‘blow-and-go’ as submariners refer to it—was approved as the primary means of escape two years ago by the Chief of Naval Operations. Since then, more than 7,000 men have qualified by buoyant ascent at the New London training tank.

“This escape method works like this: An escapee, wearing a ‘Mae West’ life-jacket, exhales almost completely and then begins his ascent, exhaling the entire trip to the surface.
2. Here is a site from the United State Naval Undersea Museum showing the history of submarine escapes. It mentions the same "blow and go" technique, but it does not have any information about that being abandoned.

3. Here is a 2021 study. It does not give a detailed description of the ascent technique. Here is the only thing it says about it.
students are given individualized refresher instruction on ascent technique. This includes practice saying, “HOOYAH,” in a manner that maintains a patent airway while diminishing undue glottic pressure as the trainee surfaces. Exhaling to the surface relieves lung expansion and instructors place great emphasis on never breath holding during ascent.
4. Here is a modern Navy video. It clearly shows the ascending diver shouting "Hooyah" to expel air from the start of the ascent.

So that's all I can find for now. I await the information you can provide that shows that all of this is wrong.

Just my experience when I went through it breath normally till you "blow out" the escape tube then exhale slowly on your way up.

Remember you are siteing public information that DOD released. I went through those trainings.

Has it changed? Maybe, do I care not really as you will never see me back on a submarine.

Didn't have octopus regs when I learned how to dive.
Everyone should know how to buddy breath.
Didn't have BCD's either. It was manual inflation of "horse collar".

Didn't have octopus regs when I learned how to dive.
Everyone should know how to buddy breath.
Didn't have BCD's either. It was manual inflation of "horse collar".
...and, by golly, there was nothing wrong with the iron lung, either! No need for silly polio vaccines when I was a kid!

I wonder how long into the future it will be before people start saying that relying on somebody else to carry your your emergency gas supply is dangerous and you need to have your own totally redundant back-up. Makes more sense to me.

I wonder how long into the future it will be before people start saying that relying on somebody else to carry your your emergency gas supply is dangerous and you need to have your own totally redundant back-up. Makes more sense to me.
I think this is exactly what any solo minded diver will tell you now. :wink:

My octo broke and is being fixed(probably takes a week or two):(.
Can I go without it for week or two?(is it illegal or something?)

You need an octo on your kit, for your buddy. Period, full stop, it must be there.

Talk to your LDS, the one doing the servicing; and ask if they have any used stage 2s kicking around. Swap that for the one getting serviced (shop does not need hose) and after, that stage 2 becomes part of your save a dive kit. I did just that, when my pony stage2 needed service. Purchased a used reg to go on my hose, while servicing was done. Since that time, same stage 2, was used by a dive buddy, who's reg went into free flow at the surface. Only because I had it in my save a dive kit.

I always go with a fully redundant air supply: double cylinders with isolator manifold; and like me, many other people. But that does NOT mean that:
1) I can go without a secondary regulator
2) OOA scenarios for me are impossible

If you want to dive solo, go for it, but you need to be aware of the risks. OOA is one of them, even with fully redundant ar supply.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom