Can I combine a shallow water red filter and a dive red filter to make a deep water filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raftingtigger

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a GoPro Hero7 Black with the flip filter system from Backscatter. I haven't used it in a while and was setting it up for an upcoming trip to the Channel Islands (So. California). It is only designed to have one filter in position at a time, but I didn't want the second filter sticking out when the camera was clipped off - it is my backup camera. I added some washers to allow both filters to sit in use position at the same time.

I have the old Flip 7 with 3 red filter options. Shallow for 5-20 foot depths, Dive for 20-50 foot depths, and Deep for 50+ foot depths. I'm likely to be diving in the 30-90 foot range so mounting the Dive and Deep make sense. Then I got thinking. If I mount the Shallow and the Dive maybe using BOTH will work for Deep.

I couldn't find any specs on the colors from Backscatter. Any thoughts?

I remember them changing to a 25-80 feet filter now...just go on their website. they call it the Dive filter

I leave tomorrow. No time to get anything from them.

I have a GoPro Hero7 Black with the flip filter system from Backscatter. I haven't used it in a while and was setting it up for an upcoming trip to the Channel Islands (So. California). It is only designed to have one filter in position at a time, but I didn't want the second filter sticking out when the camera was clipped off - it is my backup camera. I added some washers to allow both filters to sit in use position at the same time.

I have the old Flip 7 with 3 red filter options. Shallow for 5-20 foot depths, Dive for 20-50 foot depths, and Deep for 50+ foot depths. I'm likely to be diving in the 30-90 foot range so mounting the Dive and Deep make sense. Then I got thinking. If I mount the Shallow and the Dive maybe using BOTH will work for Deep.

I couldn't find any specs on the colors from Backscatter. Any thoughts?
The filters are a crapshoot anyway; they are never exactly right, so it's a question of how far off you can tolerate. Try it. My guess is you'd lose so much light from using two that you won't like the results. Filters not only remove/add colors, they reduce the light hitting the sensor.

I have an older GoPro 4. It's in an eBay underwater case that came with one red filter for like $20 if I remember. I use it shallow and deep and to be honest my pictures are great! I'm not a professional photographer and I don't enhance my photos or videos. However, I've never said to myself, those didn't come out good you need to try something else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom