Can I calculate the time before flight by myself?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The reality is if you dive like I do on vacation, 4-6 dives a day, pushing NDL's, it's smart to take a minimum 24 hour break at the end. Heck, in the middle of a dive vacation I wake up in the morning and still have 2 bars from the day before. Tell me I am not saturated! :D

This is what I do. Everyone has to make their own decisions.

[SIZE=+1]Some research from DAN. BTW those claiming a 24 hour rule is bogus should really read up on the subject. 24 hour may not be enough in some circumstances.

Yes, according to the second article you linked, commercial divers who have >4 hours of exposure should wait 48 hours before flying. Not sure how to translate commercial diving lingo to sport diving though. For example, I am not sure what they are referring to when they say exposure. Exposure to me is usually a function of time and depth. Seems like 4 hours at 20 feet is different than 4 hours at 150 feet.

I did notice that on that table, it states that divers on air with <4 hrs of exposure can fly after 12 hours.

The reality is if you dive like I do on vacation, 4-6 dives a day, pushing NDL's, it's smart to take a minimum 24 hour break at the end. Heck, in the middle of a dive vacation I wake up in the morning and still have 2 bars from the day before. Tell me I am not saturated! :D

This is what I do. Everyone has to make their own decisions.

I have no problem with you practicing what you think is safe.

However, if I am to conclude on what I think is a safe diving practice, I will need some of the underlying data/research behind the recommendations that are commonly thrown around. Because frankly, SCUBA is full of all kinds of recommendations that are not always based on what is sensible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom