Can I buy a mask online?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You could just order up 6-7 masks online and send back the ones that you don't like. I do this whenever I order something online that requires a "fit". I had a friend that thought he was a standard rack size. He sent back 4 wetsuits before he found one that fit. That's like an extra $80 in shipping back and forth.
Cjh

swooley once bubbled...
I'm in the process of getting certified and I want to buy some equipment. The local scuba shops seem to be quite expensive. Is is possible for me to buy mask and other equipment online and get the correct size. I know that is the most important thing. Thanks.

I'm a noob to this diving and forum... but what I like to do is since I'm in the market for stuff too...

1) go to a shop and look/try the equipment.
2) go online to see the general prices
3) go back to the shop (if the people were nice and stuff) and see if they can relatively price match.

I mean relatively cause shops have overhead, so chances are you will get moderately close to the online price, you'll have real people to talk to, and you'll support your local shop while you're at it.

If I bought the fins I want online, I save about $50 bucks from the shop. That's essentially a mask.

I bought my mask at the LDS where I took my OW course. I found ScubaToys.com from an adv for Cicso networking equipment. The fins (clearance), wet-suit booties, and mesh bag (cheap 'cause it comes with an ad on the side) that I got totalled less than the low-end fins I probably would have purchased at the dive shop. Many years ago I took an Advance Lifesaving course (about two step below a lifeguard) and had to have a mask so I knew about the importance of fit.

I've shopped for price ranges online, but the majority of my purchases have been at the LDS. When it comes time to get the BC and reg I'll probably go to the LDS, too, but I'll know the price range I'm willing to be in thanks to the online retailers.

-Rob

I buy some gear online and save a lot in the process. Buying online saves me money for more gear. I do support my LDS but somethings are just so much cheaper online. The scubaboard serves at a great source of knowledge about gear and diving in general. Using the info I have learned here I now have a better idea of what to buy in the first place. Just make sure you know what your buying works for you.

I find that the mask is the single most important piece of gear and must fit. If you are one of those people who get a seal with nearly any mask, count yourself lucky.
I generally have to try LOTS of masks to find one that fits.

In fact, when I bought my Big Eyes, I found that the dive shop had ones that would seal perfectly on my face and ones that would leak. Keep in mind that these were all Big Eyes.

Had I ordered online it would have been the luck of the draw as to getting a good one (for me) or not.

Some things I will buy online, but not masks.:D

I've been thinking about the Mare X-Vision and yesterday while getting my 2 tanks filled at my LDS I had a chance to stroll over and try the mask on. A perfect fit and really nice mask. I don't know if I will be ordering it on-line though, the $20 difference may not be worth it after you add in the shipping charges.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom