Can I buy 2nd stage and rent 1st?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I understand totally. I will often drive to Houston (3 hrs) to catch a non stop rather than fly from San Antonio on dive vacations. They're much less likely to lose a bag on a non stop, and it's just less stressful to not have to worry about it.

Still, one can rent gear for a day in almost every dive destination. It's not ideal under any circumstances, but it's better than not diving.

What makes me chuckle is the extreme paranoia about damage on a primarily metal and hard plastic, very durable, device that costs a few hundred dollars, that can be purchased at dive shops anywhere they exist. Imagine the heartburn that goes along with checking a $20K (or quite a bit more) extremely fragile cello or guitar made by an individual that is no longer alive, and therefore really not replaceable. Pro musicians that must travel for a living deal with this all the time. It really sucks.

I think some divers have a particularly emotional relationship with their regulators, as if their lives depend on these magic machines. They're actually quite interchangeable and all more-or-less do the job.

I'll bet she doesn't have to worry: www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFqdpx8UoqU

They're actually quite interchangeable and all more-or-less do the job.

I've heard insensitive brutes use the same language when referring to women.

I think some divers have a particularly emotional relationship with their regulators, as if their lives depend on these magic machines. They're actually quite interchangeable and all more-or-less do the job.

I think this is the dive industry doing their marketing job. They are the most important life support equipment that only the best/most expansive model can keep you alive. All entry level models, including those never failed workhorse unbalance pistons are not safe enough in recreation depth.

I've heard insensitive brutes use the same language when referring to women.

I think it was Ben Franklin that said "all cats are grey in the dark"

Anyhow, i'm sure there are insensitive brutish women that feel this way about us men.

Actually, there's probably some truth to it in that case.....

Some of us have had regulators for a long time. I've had one (SP MKV) for more than 40 years. It's one of the few regulators I own with a yoke connection, so I frequently take it with me on trips to various islands. I've done all possible updates to both stages, and have disassembled, cleaned, serviced and reassembled them so often I think I could do it blindfolded. They are things of beauty, both form and function.

I have a strong emotional attachment to this regulator, and always carry it with me when traveling. It's become a talisman. I would never entrust it to the greasy paws of some inspector. I haven't logged dives since the 70s, but some amazing flashbacks happen when I gaze into the faint purple highlights of the first stage's still bright chrome and remember where we've been together.

I have a strong emotional attachment to this regulator, and always carry it with me when traveling. It's become a talisman. I would never entrust it to the greasy paws of some inspector.
Totally understandable. But generally really hard to explain to your dive buddy as you pack for a non-diving vacation...

---------- Post added December 6th, 2014 at 11:11 PM ----------

And in response to the OP. The answers are YES and YES, but why would you?

You would need to take tools and then have a means of testing that your new reg combo worked okay after you McGyvered them together.

A complete reg set is not that heavy. It stows easily in your checked luggage. It is not that important (regardless of any ill-advised emotional attachment you may have formed) and can be easily replaced.

Mouthpiece & hygiene? Just remember you are swimmin in a pool of fish piss.

Totally understandable. But generally really hard to explain to your dive buddy as you pack for a non-diving vacation...

---------- Post added December 6th, 2014 at 11:11 PM ----------
Why would I be explaining anything to a dive buddy while packing for a non-diving vacation? In any case, I haven't taking a non-diving vacation since god was a boy.

If it was my shop NO,,,,, I wont risk being responsible for you falling victom to your failed 2nd stage on my good 1st.

I just passed Open Water exams and thinking about buying some equipment. Is it possible to buy only 2nd stage of regulator and attach it to rented 1st stages when diving?

1st stage is expensive and heavy to transport in luggage. Also I don't see why it is important. Own 2nd stage on the other hand improves comfort, hygiene and ease of breathing. Am I right?

P.S. at the moment I have my own mask, fins, wetsuit and diving computer. I certainly would not buy my own BCD, cylinders and and weights right now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom