can anyone name this fish???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JacobsonC2

Reaction score
i saw this guy well diving in lake michigan by pilot island near door county. he was in about 30ft of water and not very shy, i managed to get a pic after a very short slow chase. i posted it on the WIscuba.com site , but i have not got any replys yet.

any ideas???

I don't dive in Lk Michigan so I'm not familiar with what you typically see there but it looks suspciously like a carp.

R..

JacobsonC2:
Can anyone name this fish?

I think "Nemo" is a very popular fish name right now, but I've always wanted to name a fish "Hank."

Looks a bit like a freshwater drum. There's a lot of fish types in good 'ol Lake Michigan though, way more than I'm familiar with.

by the green glow, you didn't happen to be near any nuclear power plants? :wink: i didn't see any extra eyes...

Actually, I do not see any eyes at all.
Did you notice if it had eyes? Was it actually pink? It looks like a big blind cave fish, but I didn't think they were anything but tropical.

I dredged up my beautiful copy of Freshwater Fishes of Texas. Closest thing in the book to that there fish is the freshwater drum. I backchecked carps (and their pals the buffalo) and they're pelvic's are too far back to correspond to the fish in the photo. Besides carp fishes lack spiny fin rays, and this here fish possess 'em.

I'd still wait for the local talent up north to chime in with their two cents worth. Freshwater fishes are not my area of expertise.

Hi, JacobsonC2,

I don't have an answer for you. I am just curious... is this fish really fluorescent green?

Back
Top Bottom