Can anyone identify this fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee:
Lookdowns are really cool looking, especially when you see a huge school of them around a rig. Their bodies are very thin, side-to-side, and like polished mirrors.

I look forward to gaining enough experience to feel comfortable diving the rigs. Gonna be a while though.

They really are cool looking fish. This one must have been a baby if they get to 18".

jstuart1:
I look forward to gaining enough experience to feel comfortable diving the rigs. Gonna be a while though.

They really are cool looking fish. This one must have been a baby if they get to 18".

Yeah must have been. As far as I know they're a schooling sort. It's lucky (for them) that you didn't catch more. Most of the ones I've ever seen were like a foot long from nose to tail.

R..

I am glad hubby didn't catch more as well. I really hate it when he brings fish home for me to see when I get home from work. I don't like to fish anymore because I don't like it when they die. I have a far better time feeding the ones in our lakes or just watching them. I love my little perchies the are way to cool. I hope this little guy is the only one that made it into the area he was fishing because it's a very heavily fished area.

Juvenile lookdowns are fairly common along the Gulf coast, they're just difficult for sportsfishermen to catch. Big nets are the way to go. They're pretty fast, and can outmaneuver most castnets. Gillnets, seines, and trawl nets are much more efficient. The adults offshore can be shot with a speargun, but that's silly. Hardly any meat.

a lookdown, I have caught them in cast nets in the canals in vero when casting for bait, little ones like that. they are cool looking, I have gotten to see adults on reefs in south florida as well.

Wendy:
a lookdown, I have caught them in cast nets in the canals in vero when casting for bait, little ones like that. they are cool looking, I have gotten to see adults on reefs in south florida as well.

Hi, Wendy....

So you getting bored with the Florida threads? Hanging out here with us Texans, huh? How come you changed your profile, avatar, etc. I bet you've gone UC, right?

Regards,

Cudabait:
Hi, Wendy....

So you getting bored with the Florida threads? Hanging out here with us Texans, huh? How come you changed your profile, avatar, etc. I bet you've gone UC, right?

Regards,

I didn't realize it was the Texas forum, oops. Actually I changed my profile stuff and my avatar cuz SB made me mad, (notice I don't post nearly as much).

I peruse all of the forums. Is that wrong? :blush:

SueMermaid:
I peruse all of the forums. Is that wrong? :blush:

Naw! Peruse away. You're welcome here anytime, Sue AND Wendy.

Foo

Wendy:
I didn't realize it was the Texas forum, oops. Actually I changed my profile stuff and my avatar cuz SB made me mad, (notice I don't post nearly as much).

What got you all riled up?

R.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom