Can anyone identify this fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jstuart1

Contributor
Reaction score
My husband was fishing at Rollover Pass today and caught this little guy in his cast net. I wasn't sure where to post this but since it was from here in Texas I thought this would work.

Cool looking fish!

Diver0001:

Thanks for the info and the link. We have never seen a fish like that before. Rollover Pass is near the Gulf of mexico on the texas coast. The pic was taken with my Kodakdx4900 4.0 MP camera. I took the pic and cropped it and reduced the image size to 800-600. Sure wish there was a housing for this camera.

Yeah "lookdown" is the most popular name for it in the U.S.. Some of the more "obstinate" americans may also refer to it as a:

1. moonfish
2. jorobado
3. horsehead
4. hairfinned dory
5. dollarfish

"Dollarfish" gets thrown around quite a bit on the upper Texas coast and Louisiana. I guess it's supposed to resemble a silver dollar or something.

Lookdowns are really cool looking, especially when you see a huge school of them around a rig. Their bodies are very thin, side-to-side, and like polished mirrors.

How did a fish that small get into your sink??? Known as a moonfish around here...........

ShakaZulu:
How did a fish that small get into your sink??? Known as a moonfish around here...........

He was caught in the cast net and rode home in the minnow bucket. He was still alive and the plan was to release him after I saw it and got the pic. Alas the poor guy didn't make it. :06: The sink was the only place I would let him be put for me to take a pic of for ID. :crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom