Can anyone Identify this Fish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krfoote

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
These pictures arent that great but i am not sure what this fish is, I know its not anything strange and i havent rediscovered a lost species, its just the only fish i have not been able to identify yet.

It was taken in Okinawa Japan just south of Onna Point- Any ideas?

Attachments

• PICT0027.jpg
    PICT0027.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 457
  • PICT0021.jpg
    PICT0021.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 401
  • PICT0028.jpg
    PICT0028.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 389
  • PICT0029.jpg
    PICT0029.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 366
  • PICT0030.jpg
    PICT0030.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 399
I think it's a cornetfish. Similar to a trumpetfish, but the tail is slightly different. http://chemistry.csudh.edu/faculty/jim/cantamar/cornet.jpg Cornetfish are found in the Pacific, Trumpetfish are found in both Atlantic and Pacific oceans, as well as others.

Frank

I too would've guessed trumpet fish but I am not at all familiar with pacific fishes... Not a good thing for a fisheries biologist to say...

How about a Keeltail Needlefish?

Not a good thing for a fisheries biologist to say...

:rofl3: Sounds to me like you need more Pacific diving time!!! Maybe you can get your employer to send you on an educational seminar . . .

:wink:

The fish is a Cornetfish (Fistularia commersonii)

Trumpet fish and needle fish both have a more paddlelike tail as compared to the whip like tail of the cornetfish. The mouth is also not as wide as a trumpet fish and not as pointy as a needlefish. These fish are very common around Okinawa and are seen at many of the different sites.

The fish is a Cornetfish (Fistularia commersonii)

Trumpet fish and needle fish both have a more paddlelike tail as compared to the whip like tail of the cornetfish. The mouth is also not as wide as a trumpet fish and not as pointy as a needlefish. These fish are very common around Okinawa and are seen at many of the different sites.
Good call. :thumb: I was just going to confirm I could ID it as a true fish.

BTW, you can turn the date stamp off and read dates that pics were shot on your computer. It's in the Exif info.

Cornetfish!!!
Thank you all! and the Date/time stamp would only bother me if i used the camera more than 2 times a year, its wrong anyway so i am not to worried about it.

Back
Top Bottom