Can anyone identify these for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

david, coneys (C. fulvus) have several variations. this one is the brown variation.

they grow from 6 to 10 inches, with 16 inches being the maximum (16-25 cm. with
40 cm being max)

Also, C. sexmaculata lives in the Indian and Pacific Oceans, not in the Caribbean,
where I am willing to bet these pics were taken.

Kim, i am willing to bet that is a Pacific picture you're linking to. I am not good
at all with Pacific species.

the difference is that the coney is a Caribbean species.

The big tip-off between the Coney and the Red Hind is the Coney has two black spots on it's lower lip. This holds true no matter what color phase it's in.

Kid...if you're gonna be giving presentations, I highly recommend you invest in Paul Humann's Reef ID series of books. I've work the covers off the first two editions!

BTW....

#2 is Yellow tube Sponge, Aplysina fistularis, pg. 21 Paul Humann's Reef Creature ID, 2nd Edition

#3 is Azure Vase Spnge, Callyspongia plicifera, pg. 25 Paul Humann's Reef Creature ID, 2nd Edition

Dee, you're right, I have the 2nd edition, and have been cross referencing it with opinions given on here. However, one thing I have learned in at least veterinary medicine, is if you don want to look like a total idiot - consult multiple sources. If an argument ensues, then it only means everyone is doing their part. This is good stuff. Thanks for all the help on this one andd my other thread.

As well, H2Andy, you are right, all these pics except the coral banded shrimp were taken in Cozumel 3 years ago, and the shrimp in Aruba.

More to follow....

Yes - that was shot in Okinawa. They are definitely called Coral groupers here. As far as I can tell from the net Sea bass are also groupers. Looking at the two photos though - surely they have to be related at least!

ID's are a pet hobby of mine and I totally agree about multiple sources. Some color phases can really throw you off.

Bring 'em on!

KidK9:
Guys, thanks so much for your help on this set. Tom, do you have the scientific names on these?

The Gray Angelfish which is no contest is Pomacanthus arcuatus
The Branching Tubesponge which is maybe is Pseudoceratina crassa
The feather star is probably a Slender Feather Hydroid or
Gymnangium speciosum
The Azure Vase Sponge is Callyspongia plicifera
The Banded Coral Shrimp is Stenopus hispidus

The fish is a seabass - the triangular shaped pupil.

Epinephelus cruentatus
The Grasby would have three black dots along the dorsal fin
Epinephelus guttatus
The Red Hind has red spots on white background with no spots on the dorsal or tail - Its tail adn rear fins have a black margin edged in white The caudal fin has a rounded margin.
Epinephelus fulvus
The coney is a fish of many colors. It has two black dots on lower lip two black dots behind the dorsal fin on base of tail. The caudal fin margin is straight. In the pictures I see no white margin on the fins.

That one is a real guess without more pictures.

Tom

If you look closely at the photo, you can almost make out the black dot on the lip. Coneys, also are not as "heavy" as the other seabasses. It really doesn't show that or say that in the books, but my experience seeing coneys is they are more slender, and do not grow as big.

The problems with grouper (sea bass) are that many species look very much alike. We tend to focus on color - probably the worst descriminator of all among a group of fishes who not only have many color "phases" but can also change colors in half a heartbeat. Morphology is better, but often even that gets down to counting spines or fin rays.
My opinion is that the fish in question is a coney, based on its general morphology (especially the thinner overall shape), its dorsal fin spines (they're heavier and more pronounced in hind and coral grouper), the position and size of the spine on the trailing edge of the operculum, and shape of the eye socket. The tail in this photo does look a bit more rounded than most coneys but not too rounded to be one.
And probably most important, when I first looked at the photo I said to myself "coney."
S

Back
Top Bottom