Can anyone identify these for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KidK9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all, in the next couple of days I am going to post some of my photography and was hoping you all could identify these with common names and scientific names. I will be making a small presentation next month. Thanks so much for your expertise.

The 4th one is a Coral grouper I think. (Cephalopholis miniata).

#1: Gray Angel Pomacantus arcuatus
#2: Brittle Star, but not sure what kind
#3: Beautiful Coral
#4: I think is a Coney, Cephalopholis fulva, it is in the seabass family.
#5: Banded Coral, Stenopus hispidus

Thanks for the opportunity to look stuff up.
Here are my guesses from the Paul Humann Books

Grey Angel - no doubt
Branching Tube Sponge with Feather Star hiding
Azure Vase Sponge
Red Hind
Banded Coral Shrimp

Guys, thanks so much for your help on this set. Tom, do you have the scientific names on these?

The red hind is a light colored fish with dark spots, while the coney is dark (well, at least in that color phase) with light spots. The red hind also has a distintive black band on the rear fin. I am looking at the top pic on page 159 and 161 of the Reef ID book, 3rd edition.

I been lookin around Jenny, and I think I agree with you on this one. I seem to find the black line on the Red Hind as well.

no clue about the invertebrates, but the two fish are
a gray angel (easy!) and a coney (i agree with Jenny on this one. the red hind has
dark edges on the tail and rear fins with a hint of white or light blue on the edges).

hmm, Im looking in some of my books and the photos of Cephalopholis fulva look almost nothing like this photo. My book says it grows to about 30cm but the photo looks bigger than that. Im leaning towards a Cephalopholis sexmaculata wich grows to 47cm. Now only if they had imperial measurements... It is very difficult to get absolute id on corals. They do apear to all be sponges of some sort. Be happy your not trying to get the id of an acropora! The coral banded shrimp is AKA Stenopus hispidus. A good location to do some reading is reefcentral.com Theres arguments there on what spieces a given coral is all the time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom