Can a tank get + rating on hydro if previous one didn't have it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elgoog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi -

I've seen a few used tanks that had a + in the original hydro but not in the most recent one. Does this mean that it will not be able to get a + again when it is re-hydro'd? This is for LP77/80/85 tanks.

Thanks in advance,
elgoog

As long as you have the REE number for the tank, you can always do the hydro with the +.

you would have to call the hydro shop and ask for the REE number to figure out if it failed to qualify for the + or the shop just didn't give it a + rating. the REE number would give you an idea of the likelihood that it may qualify again for the plus rating on a new hydro.

I've had 72's come back with new + ratings before. Don't have any other LP tanks that have ever lost it, so can't speak on them, but my PST 72's have new + ratings after going 3-4 hydro cycles without it

Unfortunately, when you run across and LP tank that did not receive a + rating on its last hydro, you don't know whether it failed the more stringent criterion or whether it simply was not evaluated. As I understand it, some shops that do scuba hydros are not qualified to do + ratings (additional training and qualification on the testers part). I would think that if a tank failed to qualify for a plus rating, then future tests should be expected to provide the same result.

you lost me on that....

Big difference in it didn't get the + rating because the shop didn't test it to those levels/wasn't allowed to test to those levels, and didn't get the + rating because it failed the part of the tests required to get the + rating. Without the most recent hydro sheet, you have no way to know. When you bring the tank in for hydro, ask them to test it for + rating, and see what happens.

Just ask them to test it for + rating at the next hydro. It doesn't matter if it skipped any.

Thanks to all for the info. Basically, I just needed to know if a used LP tank was worth pursuing if any of the hydros had + missing. All else being good, seems like they are.

you lost me on that....

Big difference in it didn't get the + rating because the shop didn't test it to those levels/wasn't allowed to test to those levels, and didn't get the + rating because it failed the part of the tests required to get the + rating. Without the most recent hydro sheet, you have no way to know. When you bring the tank in for hydro, ask them to test it for + rating, and see what happens.

That is my point, it is a big difference. But when you are looking at a used tank that does not have a + rating, you have no easy way of knowing which case it is. I guess you could decipher the shop marking and try to run it down based on tank data. Good luck with that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom