Can A Rock fall onto Lobster Hunter Arm???????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, it might...and a rock might fall out of the sky on your head, this doesn't mean you spend your life walking around looking up all the time, if you do you are more likely to break your neck falling over your feet. It's been there a loooong time compaired to the few seconds you are going to be near it

Did I hear DR Bill for President. Finally a candidate with an under H2O platform

drbill:
A few months ago the road from Avalon to Pebbly Beach was closed due to an engineering study that expressed concern about falling rocks. In the 100 years that road has been open, we aren't aware of a single fatal injury. But it could happen... and I could become President!

Maybe no fatalities, but how often does it slide there...the vast majority of CA is tilted Miocene shales. As I am sure you are aware of these lithologies love to slide...how many houses/hills slide after a heavy rain.

100 yrs is isn't even a blink of the eye in geologic time:D

drbill:
My understanding of the CDF&G laws is that a stick would be illegal. Yes, a rock could fall... I've watched it happen topside. I'd guess the probability is fairly slim of getting hurt. A few months ago the road from Avalon to Pebbly Beach was closed due to an engineering study that expressed concern about falling rocks. In the 100 years that road has been open, we aren't aware of a single fatal injury. But it could happen... and I could become President!

Hi Dr Bill

Here in Cape town south Africa , we are not allowed to use and breathing apparatus or tool to romove rock lobster. we free dive and use gloved hands

I have not heard of a rock moving and trapping a diver either. been free diving since 7.and have cuaght a few bugs in my time

We dived today and guess whats for supper , hehehehe

cheers:D

big rocks are not as bad as the leperd sharks at pebbly beach at night (got ahold on my lobster bag in 4 feet of serf)

Rocks? What rocks? Like most lobster hunters I know, we don't notice rocks... We see a lobster and that's the only thing we see. I once had a buddy ask me what he should do if I got my arm stuck in a hole looking for lobster – should he cut off my arm or let me drown? It just so happened that day I was in a hole up to my shoulder digging out a 5 lb lobbie for 15 minutes. Of course he comes around and wants to know if I'm stuck. He kept making the sawing motion with his hand...

Yes, rocks can fall.
I havent seen it happen, thank god, but ive heard of a solo diver in southern parts of Norway that died from this happenin.. I think he removed a small rock or something from a pile (who knows really, he was solo??) and a large rock fell over his armor or leg. He was trapped and when they found the body he had drowned. His air was all sucked out. Bet thats a nice way to go. "Hey, im trapped and I cant get out, good thing i have air for another 27 minutes so that i can contemplate my mistake"...

As to getting lobsters out.. Ive heard throwing in a big crab works, but it had to be male, or was it female? Thats how much I hunt lobsters. Its illegal to take lobsters while scuba in Norway btw and they can take your gear+you get a complete monthly salary fine.. That would make a nice 5k or more USD total cost I guess..

I've seen plenty of ledges out of Port Canaveral that have collapsed. It most likely occured during a storm, but like John said, "not my cup of tea".

I've looked down ledges and seen nothing but a pair of fins sticking out from a ledge. You can have that....

Back
Top Bottom