Can A Rock fall onto Lobster Hunter Arm???????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuSexFulDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was diving off Catalina Island a week ago and while diving was watching the lobster hunters reaching beneath huge Rocks to catch Lobsters. I was wondering if lobster hunters ever worry about if one of those huge rocks/boulders will become unstable and fall onto thier arm while they are reaching into the holes or beneath them to catch Lobsters?

Why not use something long and stick into the holes to get the lobsters near the opening so they can then catch the lobsters?

Has anyone ever been trapped this way while hunting Lobsters?:11: :confused:

My understanding of the CDF&G laws is that a stick would be illegal. Yes, a rock could fall... I've watched it happen topside. I'd guess the probability is fairly slim of getting hurt. A few months ago the road from Avalon to Pebbly Beach was closed due to an engineering study that expressed concern about falling rocks. In the 100 years that road has been open, we aren't aware of a single fatal injury. But it could happen... and I could become President!

With the little money I have left, I've got to be!

SuSexFulDiver:
..........while they are reaching into the holes or beneath them to catch Lobsters?

In Florida we have some deep ledges. Not saying it's right wrong or otherwise, but I've seen divers take off their gear, keep the reg in their mouth with the long hose and crawl underneath the ledge to grab some very big bugs. Not my cup of tea.

I've got a pretty firm belief that no bug or fish is worth your life and it would be a ridiculous way to die or get bent.

Do you guys have Moray's in California?

Then be careful when you stick your hand under a rock, especially if viz is poor. I would be more concerned about the Moray, than the rock. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom