Can a Leaking Probe be Repaired?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thuffman

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Can a pinhole leak in an Oceanic Probe w/out removable bladder be repaired? My LDS put a patch on the cordura exterior, but air still leaks out from under the patch. It's still a tiny leak, but not something I want to have to worry about. Thanks in advance for your help. Tim.

basically to fix it, you need to patch the inside which is notoriously difficult to do.

Can you post a photo of the present patch, it may allow us to help you more.

I was afraid of that, basically the patches (2) are just circles about 2" in diameter stuck with contact cement. The pinhole was through and through, but only one patch is leaking. I wondered if I could pour anything into the bladder and then set the BC "just so" until it dries. Obviously, any liquid adhesive residue would gum up the dump valves and/or the safe second. By the way Mark, you look great in an Elvis costume. Tim.

I have patched large holes in that type bladder as well as pinholes. I use aquaseal for the adheasive. A pinhole can often be repaired by just working aquaseal into the hole being carefull not to glue the inside together. For larger holes, I have used aquaseal along with the cordura patch. Pull the leaking patch off, clean off the contact cement, and give just aquaseal a try. Save the patch or get some more so if the aquaseal alone does not work, you can try again with the cordura patch. If the aquaseal repair works, you may want to redo the other patch also.

Thanks Awap! I'll try Aquaseal as soon as I have a chance. Thanks again for your reply, it helps alot to hear from folks who have faced the same problems. Tim.

Sorry I didn't jump in sooner. I have heard of cases where sealants including Aquaseal have damaged the internal lining of the bladder material - potentially causing bigger problems than you have now. We have a BC patch kit - and at the risk of causing a debate (I'm conveniently leaving town in an hour for our sales meeting - sorry I won't be able to participate:D ) - it will need to be repaired through an authorized dealer.

Doug Krause:
- it will need to be repaired through an authorized dealer.

thuffman - was that an authorized Oceanic dealer you toolk it to the first time?

BTW, here is what another BCD mfgr has to say about using aquaseal to patch a leak. This is a post copied from TDS:

Re: Patching a wing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aquaseal is a moisture cured urethane adhesive. Wing bladders are urethane. Pin holes can be fixed with a dab. Larger slices might take a couple coats. My experience with aquaseal has been good. Good long term durability.

Some care must be exercised to avoid sticking the two halves of the bladder together.

Of course replacing the bladder is the recommended method of repair

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom