camping near Pt.Lobos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kayak Diver:
But what about all those parking meters? Do you have to keep feeding them at night?

It's free parking after a certain time, which is posted (8:00?). I don't think you're technically allowed to camp there, but there are usually tons of people doing it when I'm there for night dives.

D_O_H:
It's free parking after a certain time, which is posted (8:00?). I don't think you're technically allowed to camp there, but there are usually tons of people doing it when I'm there for night dives.

I don't remember when the free parking starts, but 8:00 p.m. sounds right. I'm pretty
sure it ends at 9:00 a.m.

Note that you aren't supposed to park in the center section between midnight and noon
unless you have a boat trailer. Yes, the signs just say "trailer", but the regulation says
"boat trailer". The upside is that the meter "maids" (there's one who could be an NFL
lineman) don't seem to start until at least 10:00. They do seem to enforce this the first
couple of weekends of salmon season.b

Actually, the meter "maids" are mostly nice people, and just want you to pay for the
parking.

They lock the bathrooms at some point before midnight. That's a real pain after a late
night dive in a dry suit.

"They lock the bathrooms at some point before midnight. That's a real pain after a late
night dive in a dry suit."

LOL, yeah I discovered that after a night dive at one point, and *needed* a shower before doing the 3.5 hour trip home, thus ended up taking a FREEZING shower outside while inadvertantly flashing the restaurant.

I've camped Veterans a number of times. I have no real complaints with it, though on event weekends, go early evening Friday or you may not get a spot, though the ranger let me sleep in the hiker overflow area once. They allow fires during the fall, winter, and into spring, but during the highest fire danger season, you can't build a fire, though you can use a propane stove.

If you go early enough, you can get one of the spots in the very back of the camp. I've stayed in the parking space sized campsites in the middle, which is a little too much togetherness with the neighbors, but one time they put me in a back space that had a little 150' trail to the campsite from the road, was surrounded by trees, and had at least five different comfy spaces to pitch a 4 man tent, thus you could easily have a good group in there without being on top of each other.

Free hot showers (hooray!) and a free wake up call at Reveille courtesy of the U.S. military.

One bummer is you do have to be out by noon though. No late checkouts.

This last weekend, I ended up at the Motel 6 in Marina since the Travelodge misquoted me, and I was not going to pay $109 a night for a single!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom