Camping/Diving Weekend...Swampers Gone Wild

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hemlon

Contributor
Reaction score
We had some incredible lake time this weekend at Windy Point. Some of the Swampers are still there so we can look forward to even more details as the weekend progresses.

I arrived on Friday afternoon to set up my gear and campsite. Soon afterward, I saw Willie and Alan. They had already completed two dives but they were ready for more. Alan looked pretty good for someone who had crossed two country's borders just to arrive at Windy Point. The wonders of modern transportation...

A new acquaintance, David, joined us for one of the dives. My two Friday dives were in the 100-120 ft range. (The dive computer is across the room and that is WAY too far right now, thus the estimation.) The vis was incredible below 70 ft...I estimated it to be 20ish-ft. The temp was a bamly 85 degrees with a BARELY noticeable thermocline.

Unfortunately, Alan couldn't stay for the entire weekend so we wished him a safe trip as he headed off for more Southern regions. Frank, did he make it there safely?

After a VERY brief night's rest, I made a Saturday morning dive to 97 ft with Broussard98. Although he's recently certified, he dives like an old pro. Great job!

The second Saturday dive was with Willie and John (k-valve). We started the dive in an attempt to find Ian's missing reel. The dive was down to 132 ft. We found a plastic item that resembled a curling iron, but the reel remains a prisoner of the lake.

When I left on Saturday afternoon, John and his two friends (Shawn and Skip) were headed back out for more fun.

Side note to Alan: Willie and David eventually found Willie's missing mask in 10 ft of water. :wink:

Donna what a super Friday we had and sounds like the fun continues for the Swampers. :D

That is awesome news that Willies 'Mask' was found---way to go fellows!

:wink:

I almost forgot..

Alan wore pants on Friday so I'm thinking the avatar picture must have been taken during an isolated, embarrassing moment. Maybe while he was dancing on a table, Foo?

Sorry I couldn't make it back out for Saturday. I got into some house and yardwork in the morning and before I knew it the day was lost. I've got to get the place looking real good. The wife has been away all week and we'll be crossing paths in the airport on Tuesday as she arrives back in Austin and I fly out for my Lake George and LI Sound diving trip up to NY. Look for the trip report soon.

Hemlon - next time we'll actually dive. Willie and Brian - nice diving with you. I look forward to blowing bubbles with you all again soon.

...........I fly out for my Lake George and LI Sound diving trip up to NY. .............

This is not fair.......I am down here in the tropics and you get to go diving in some 'real' diving waters! :D

Donna, thanks for putting together an awesome weekend! Brian, Willie and I stuck it out the longest. I got home just in time to catch the second half of the Dallas game. Go Cowboys!!:yelclap:

I took a break Saturday evening for a few hours to go out to dinner with my parents...it was a tough choice...diving with my buddies or going to dinner with my parents, but I made the sacrifice for family...that and my dad picked up the tab. :D

I was able to get back to WP in time to do a solo night dive. Vis definitely seems to be degrading. It's great from 80'-125', or so, but it get low fast beneath that and slowly gets worse from 80' up.

Willie and I took one more look for Ian's reel, but I screwed up at around 140' and silted us out. Vis was deteriorating pretty quickly anyway, so we turned the dive there. Mike and I looked pretty hard for the reel on the way back, but no luck...sorry Ian.

Other than that screw up it was a great dive. Thanks again, Willie!

After everyone left I did one last dive with Keith, who is new to the area. We dropped to the edge of trees down below platform one and skimmed along the east side of them for about 10 minutes. Vis was OK near the trees, and the water is still warm down deep. We went up to about 80' and checked out the small grottos there.

Great weekend! I enjoyed meeting Alan, Willie and Donna...and spending time with Shawn, Brian, Bill, Brandon, and Skip. Awesome time!!:party2:

Ian's reel was found by some other divers but I think Ian should still buy us all a beer.

It was nice to meet you too, John. We'll have to share some more fantastic Travis dives!

:D It was great diving with all of you! I was glad to meet some more fellow TSD's. Thanks for organizing the trip Donna. I'm looking forward to diving with all of you again soon. I'll be out at WP this Saturday and Sunday for my AOW class if any of you want to get in a couple extra dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom