Campbell River trip report.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skookumchuck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Bradnerboy, Hunter and myself met up with Peter (Walrus2) for a few days of diving in Campbell River last week. After checking into the Whiskey Point resort on Wednesday we headed over to the East side of Quadra Island to dive Moulds Bay. The wind was howling when we arrived but we managed to get into the water through very challanging surf. The dive looked to be not bad but equipment problems forced an early ending and the wind continued to increase so we couldn't try a second dive. Day two we caught a good slack for a shore dive at Whiskey point and found a small octopus out in the open. I very nearly realized my lifelong dream of wearing an octopus like a hat but Peter decided we'd harrassed it enough and signaled we should leave it alone. Our second dive that day was another shore dive out of Betty's book called Wa-Wa-Kie beach. I strongly recommend tearing this page out of the book if you own it. Day three we joined up with Owen (UnderWater Ogre) and his friend Chuck for some boat diving. When we arrived at Steep Island for the first dive I discovered my fins had remained in the van on shore. I'm sure this was Peter's fault although I haven't yet figured out how. The Captain of the boat saved the day with one old Jet fin that had been lying in the boat for a while. I would warn that drift diving Discovery Passage with a single fin is a level of foolishness that should only be undertaken by trained professional fools like myself. The dive was outstanding and so was the second that day at Copper Cliffs albeit a little off balance and somewhat out of control.
Our final day we dove Richmonds Reef with a full complement of gear and good vis and ended the trips diving at a wreck behind Steep Island that I've forgotten the name of. All in all a great trip and highly recommended diving.
Todd will post some pics.

Nice report...

I have to say I was impressed by the one fin tactics, NEMO...jjking...but with a handle like Skookumchuck you were ready for current.

We prefer to keep that wreck a local secret :wink: guess you made the cut.

Glad you had a good time...get in touch with us anytime!

U/O

Glad to hear you guys had decent dives on Saturday. Wa Wa Kie definitaly has its challenges (mainly the long walk across the beach). It gets a little better below 120' as the sandstone starts to develop some Octopus dens, we've had a few days when we've seen 4-6 Octopus and numerous big Rockfish. You have to work pretty hard for what you get though. Sounds like you guys dove the Achaites (spelling?) an old steam tug that burned to the water line, sunk in the early-mid 1900's and then was salvaged. Water tanks would be the prominent feature as there is not much left of the tug itself. The BC Archeological Society has a write up of it in one of their publications, I believe they surveyed it and published a map of what's left. I believe the title is Historic Shipwrecks of Northeastern Vancouver island. Chuck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom