Cameron Donaldson (northernone) a requiem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A month or two ago, I gave him a couple of my old 5 mm wetsuits for his girls in the north to use. His gratitude was so genuine. I was helping him write up a document to use as a basis to seek funding for his program in northern Canada. It is saved on my computer as "Cameron's story". If you only knew what he was doing for those kids....

The program itself was incredible, Cameron made it magical. I have stories of many of his students from his perspective. He genuinely loved them all so much.

The program itself was incredible, Cameron made it magical. I have stories of many of his students from his perspective. He genuinely loved them all so much.
And he was very protective of them. I told him that, in the story, he needed to talk a bit more about what they had been through to tug at heartstrings and loosen purse strings. He was adamant about protecting their privacy and refusing to go down this road...even one inch.

And he was very protective of them. I told him that, in the story, he needed to talk a bit more about what they had been through to tug at heartstrings and loosen purse strings. He was adamant about protecting their privacy and refusing to go down this road...even one inch.
That's the solid truth. He would respond to that idea with a pained expression, not because it hurt to consider it but because it hurt to figure out how to say no efffing way in a manner that wouldn't hurt us!

That's the solid truth. He would respond to that idea with a pained expression, not because it hurt to consider it but because it hurt to figure out how to say no efffing way in a manner that wouldn't hurt us!
I think we last settled on "complex PTSD".

He felt that way about everyone... the stories were not his to tell. Always happy to tell his own, but not anyone else's. I feel privileged that he trusted me enough to share what he did, and blessed that I got to know his students and the Cree community through his eyes.

I think we last settled on "complex PTSD".
Yes, he told us PTSD is when you are trying to recover from a severe trauma to return to a place of normal and safe. CPTSD was when there was no normal and safe to return to and it had to be created from scratch. That's why he taught them scuba so they would have a sense of peace to reference.

Yes, he told us PTSD is when you are trying to recover from a severe trauma to return to a place of normal and safe. CPTSD was when there was no normal and safe to return to and it had to be created from scratch. That's why he taught them scuba so they would have a sense of peace to reference.
Yeah, but not short and snappy and meaningful for people reading grant applications. He appreciated the problem but decided to go and think about how to square that circle.

Unfortunately for Cam he had more insight into the lives of those kids than he was able to talk about.

I met him originally as a fellow moderator & always appreciated his kind, thoughtful approach on Scubaboard. He was level-headed & truly cared about the divers (& mods) here.

Late last year, he put up a post to his fellow mods asking for some suggestions re: the wonderful nonprofit scuba program referenced above for Cree Nation youth (Kuuchiitaau). Many of the moderators decided that they wanted to do more for him & the program than just answer a few questions as you've seen from the posts above. I was one of them offering my help with marketing, writing content, & such. We had some initial discussions & then I was set to further jump in this month. So I just really started my friendship with him outside of Scubaboard. I'm going to take that energy I was going to use to help Cameron & see if I can help further the idea proposed in another thread of a SAR network as my tribute to Cameron instead.

He was such a kind & caring guy. So centered. Helpful. Friendly. And inspiring. He will be missed by everyone who had the privilege to know him.

Sending his family, & his friends my :heart: & strength.

Back
Top Bottom