Camera's on a bugget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since you mentioned DIGITAL.......

Canon WP-DC300 housing is worth a look. It accepts several of the S series cameras, so you can pay for the mega-pixels you want today and upgrade later if you want to.

The best feature of this camera/housing combo is the custom white balance........... you can remove the blue as you shoot! Without a strobe!

The downside is that, like most digitals, it has a lag between !click! and picture capture. Try one of the SEA& SEA digitals if the film camera feel is important to you.

I originally bought the S-30 and have since replaced it with the S-50.

One more example with the snapsights....I took this at about 60' on a dark day. These aren't a super quality camera, but for 20-25 bucks you can take some decent memories home.

5944_3323_1.jpg

Steve

Yes. A slave flash is triggered by another flash. It is the least expensive method for an external strobe. I use a Morris strobe that I bought from Helix in Chicago over 10 years ago. Back then I paid $50.

That doesn't sound like a bad way to go. I've got an Olympus C4000Z and soon to have the PT-010 housing. I suppose the slave flash would work with that, with the camera's flash setting on slow.

Where could I find one?

A.

andrea31419 once bubbled...
That doesn't sound like a bad way to go. I've got an Olympus C4000Z and soon to have the PT-010 housing. I suppose the slave flash would work with that, with the camera's flash setting on slow.

Where could I find one?

A.

Andrea...technically you can trigger an unattached slave off the internal flash but with the flash uncovered you'll get backscatter pretty bad. Where the unattached slave strobe comes in handy is when you already have one strobe and only occasionally want/need a second strobe. To keep from having a second arm, bigger tray, bigger rig all around....a smally slave strobe kept in a pocket can be very handy.

I used to use a S&S YS30 which was just a bit longer than my fist. Beast would hold it outside the frame for some very nice lighting effects.

Thanks for the info Dee. Yeah, I figured that would be the case. Too bad there's nothing you can use to cover the internal flash when it goes off.

I'm going to have to think about this one. But any other input would be appreciated.

Thanks again Dee.
This is the smally slave you use Dee?

A.

I sold the YS30 with my old S&S MMIIexPro system. I regret it now and wish I had it back! I may get another one or just go with a second strobe one day but for now I'm satisfied with my single YS90DX.

However, If I was looking at strobes right now I would get the Inon D-180, mainly for the size. It is very close to the YS90DX in operation just not as heavy.

andrea31419 once bubbled...

And this strobe does not attach to the camera? And, it won't flash without the internal flash going off, right?

A.

Well...I suppose you could hand hold it but I meant I would buy it as a primary strobe to be fixed to a tray and arm and connected with the camera with a fiber optic cable.

Hand holding a slave strobe should only be used for fill lighting, not for your primary strobe. It's very hard to aim a strobe properly, even on an arm much less by just hand holding it.

Back
Top Bottom