camera woes Part 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK last time I posted here our new Bonica camera had flooded on the 4th dive. We sent it back, and they gave us a whole new outfit (Thanks B&H). I unpacked it, and started to put it together, and the attach point for the tripod broke right off! Turned out the threads were teflon or plastic of some sort. So we are sending it back AGAIN! but this time we are asking for our money back. This seems to be a very cheap camera from what our experience has been, so we are now in the market for another "better digital".
I saw an ad in Julys issue of SD Magazine, for a Sealife DC500 camera. I have been unable to find a single bit of information about it anywhere on the web. Does anyone have any idea where I might find out more about it? Even the Sea life web page doesn't show it listed. Other than that we would like some ideas as to which other cameras we should be looking at. I know that shutter speed was one complaint of the Bonica, so we would like fast as we can get.We would also would like the biggest screen size we can find due to the Bonicas being so small that we found it extremly difficult to see, or read the little teenie images on the screen, especially underwater.

I'm not sure if you are referring to a Reefmaster model camera as I could not find a DC500 or if you are referring to a housing for a Canon camera called the WP-DC500 Waterproof case for IXUS 330 Digital Camera?

My best advice to you as an amateur underwater photographer is to buy a digital camera with a seperate housing such as Canon or Olympus.

You need a camera that offers several features like manual settings of the F stops and shutter speeds and especially Manual White Balance. This feature is a must for taking non-strobe photos underwater. Keep in mind that a strobe, whether internal or external, has a very limited distance.

I offer you this article I wrote on getting started in underwater digital photograpyhy and this article on the importance of Manual White Balance.

the ad we saw was for a camera. I also kept coming up with the camera case wpdc500. Funny it was in SD mag, but nowhere else. I was shopping more today and know a bit more of what I want. Most of the cameras don't have cases forthem from what I cam see, so I am attempting to find one that has what I want, and has a case as well. Thanks for the links.

Have a look through the Canon Corner forum - lots of ideas there.

All the Canon A series models have housings, I believe, and are excellent systems. The S70 is also meant to be a nice system, but I haven't seen one yet.

Olympus makes several models that also have housings.

To compare cameras go to www.dpreview.com and to find out if a housing is offered for the model you prefer head to www.digideep.com

Good luck shopping!

currently I am leaning towards a Canon SD 500, there's a case for it, and it has the bigger screen I was looking for.. not as good as a Macro as I wanted, so i am still looking. i really would like a oly 5060, but
I am having trouble finding them as they are no longer carried by most places, replaced by the "newest greatest " stuff. I am also unsure about strobe compatibility with the Canon. The Oly is a tried and true thing, so I really liked the idea that there would be stuff to pick up for years to come for that particular camera.

Has been replaced by the 7070.

There are a LOT of PnS camera's out there with housings. In general most of the Nikon, Oly, and Canon camera's have housings available, however if you find something you like, verify the availiablilty of the housing before purchase.

IMO there is not a great reason to purchase a camera and housing together, unless you like the Sea & Sea stuff (the camera is made by Ricoh).

There has been a lot of discussion of what PnS to purchase, and there are as many opinions as there are people involved in the discussion.

I think you'll find the same thing true of the major players - you'll be able to ebay a replacement housing etc for a while for a lot of models.

Canon A series (the two digit series) are compatible with external strobes - I've used Inon and Ikelite. They are also compatible with add-on macro and WA lenses - Inon, again.

You probably will have to hit ebay to find an Oly 5050 or 5060 but they are out there.

I don't think you can go too wrong with any of your choices...if you are concerned about the macro capabilities, cross it off your list. Closer is better.

Might be just one of those things you have to just jump in and do - thinking too much about is likely to lead to more confusion!! :wink:

I don't think you can go too wrong with any of your choices...if you are concerned about the macro capabilities, cross it off your list. Closer is better.

Ok maybe I am lost here, but I thought the term "macro" meant close. or closer, I may well be wrong there. maybe that explains why, when I put the camera on "macro" I couldn't focus on close up stuff.??? Our last camera could not get any closer that about 2 feet from the subject, so I was unable to get those really cool pixs of all the small stuff the pod people swim by without noticing. I found one camera today that got as close as a couple of inches away and was still in focus! That's what I am looking for. after all, unlike love,.... when diving, It's the small things that count

macro is for close stuff. Underwater this is great as you get more light, less rubbish in the water.

I may have been confusing...you mentioned that one you were looking at didn't seem to have as good of macro as some others. That alone would be enough to toss it off the list.

The one you have found that focusses close is a keeper :wink:

diverrick:
OK last time I posted here our new Bonica camera had flooded on the 4th dive. We sent it back, and they gave us a whole new outfit (Thanks B&H). I unpacked it, and started to put it together, and the attach point for the tripod broke right off! Turned out the threads were teflon or plastic of some sort. So we are sending it back AGAIN! but this time we are asking for our money back. This seems to be a very cheap camera from what our experience has been, so we are now in the market for another "better digital".
I saw an ad in Julys issue of SD Magazine, for a Sealife DC500 camera. I have been unable to find a single bit of information about it anywhere on the web. Does anyone have any idea where I might find out more about it? Even the Sea life web page doesn't show it listed. Other than that we would like some ideas as to which other cameras we should be looking at. I know that shutter speed was one complaint of the Bonica, so we would like fast as we can get.We would also would like the biggest screen size we can find due to the Bonicas being so small that we found it extremly difficult to see, or read the little teenie images on the screen, especially underwater.

SD mag, July issue. Sealike DC500, mostly black, 5MP. Said to have NO shutter lag. It's brand new. There not a mention of it at their web site www.sealife-cameras.com. Strange but them their latest news section is "Summer 2004." A bit behind I would say. Makes you wonder if that shutter is really that fast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom