Camera to bc attachment question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i use a 1 1/4" bolt snap on all , but the attachment points vary.
on the ike houseing it's around the lower tray on the left side attached with a ( i can't think of the name) flattend 'O' shaped "link". the link has a screw on section in it. it fits without moving but the snap can pivot. on the amphibious trays i use a 6" loop of 1/4 line to the snap. in all cases it clips to my left chest D ring - ONLY when nessesary! as in deco stops or line work in current.

Is a coil lanyard used...attached to the chest d-ring. I've seen some use a quick release coils....

I use an all-purpose double loop of climbing line (1/4 in) with a carabiner on it. I wear it around my waist until needed. I use this "hillbilly belt" as kayakers call it for kayaking and diving. For kayaking I use it for towing another kayak etc. For diving I use it to loop around the downline in current and hook to D-ring on my harness. Last month I also used it to loop around the bracket of my camera and the biner to my D-ring.

Keep in mind I'm new at this camera underwater stuff and I see myself using a smaller diameter line and biner for permanent camera use once my "new-to-me" Nik 5 arrives in the next few days!!

SeaOtter once bubbled...
Is a coil lanyard used...attached to the chest d-ring. I've seen some use a quick release coils....

while i'v seen people use those - i don't.
i don't feel that having the camera attached is safe (for a number of reasons) nor does it make it easy to use. I never clip off the camera unless i Must[b/] have both hands free.

the QR coils you speak of use those "spade" QRs and unless you can see then as you work them they can fail - you might not get them firmly seated or some trash can get in and jam them. also if you need the camera you fiddle around geting the ting off the QR! I should explain - i dive cold water i need very easy to use QRs with the heavy gloves. i just tuck the houseing under my right arm next to my side ( with the strobes going next to my chest/belly) for streamlining when i'm not useing it.
a bolt snap is the thing use on "large" dog collars. it's also the recomended way to clip off stage bottles. it won't 'twist' loose nor does it jam easily.

i use the 1 1/4" ones because of the gloves in warm water you could use a 3/4" and be fine.

SeaOtter once bubbled...
How is the weather up there...really? I've visited there several times.

it's been raining and about 60 the last week. summers been, beautiful highs in the 80s, lows 50s. been a bad bear year however - losts of maulings this year a few deaths. to many people - the bears are used to them and are getting Very aggressive. oh well, at least they mostly only eat the tourists:D

If you had searched for other discussions on this, you would found this one.....just one of many!

Unfortunately it's one of those discussions that folks either truly believe in it and others swear you'll die if you do it! OK...that's an exaggeration but you get my drift!

While I agree there are some things that should never be attached to your BC, I don't feel a camera is one of them. I use a coiled lanyard and always have. And yes, I've had a few instances where I needed both hands. I was confident in the lanyard and could drop my camera out of the way and retrieve it when I could. I use the one that has a brass clip on it so it's very easy and quick to remove in a hurry if needed. And I've done that too.

Read the discussion in the link above and make up your own mind.

Dee once bubbled...

While I agree there are some things that should never be attached to your BC, I don't feel a camera is one of them. I use a coiled lanyard and always have. And yes, I've had a few instances where I needed both hands. I was confident in the lanyard and could drop my camera out of the way and retrieve it when I could. I use the one that has a brass clip on it so it's very easy and quick to remove in a hurry if needed. And I've done that too.

with a small camera it's not so big a deal, dee. but with my housed setup it's a real pain! i use twin 20"arms on an Ike MD - even folded up its BIG ( about 18" wide and a good 12"" square), having that monstrosity hanging in the breeze is NOT safe, nor is it very hydrodynamic. it's negitive so it hangs down and a piece of kelp will pull the strobes out - it's a true entanglement hazard.

i think a coil lanyard would be fine on something like a S&S MX10 or simalar setup (even on the small digital single strobe stuff).

as an aside (and i saw something similar in the link you posted).
i was diving if six gill sharks a few years ago when one came right at me. i got some good stuff but afterwards a couple of guys asked what would i have done if he had tried to bite me. i told them " feed him the camera" - wouldn't try that if it was connected to me!

personally I prefer to strap the camera to my wrist rather than my body. I like to have as an extension of my arm inspector gadget style lol. but that's mainly for video because the camera isnt small like some photo ones.

Back
Top Bottom